• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Finshed My 6" Lift - What's Next?

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
:conceited I just finshed the upper control arms today. :shiver:

I removed the old fender flares. Now, I am looking for advice on how to proceed.

I am runing 31s and plan on 33s on my 90 MJ.

Suggestions.........................................

How to proceed with flares?

I've got about 6" on my MJ, and I've got TJ front flares on my front. I'm running 35" MT/Rs.
Here's a small picture of what it looks like on the side:
image.php

I think it might look really open with 31s or 33s, but you could mount them lower, or use TJ rears.

Phil Weeks said:
How to proceed with flares?

I've got about 6" on my MJ, and I've got TJ front flares on my front. I'm running 35" MT/Rs.
Here's a small picture of what it looks like on the side:
image.php

I think it might look really open with 31s or 33s, but you could mount them lower, or use TJ rears.

What did you you do to run 35s? Do you have the original drive trains?

RE 5.5" MJ kit up front, sprungover rear with OME shocks.
Open HP D30 and spooled D44 with 4.88s are going in next weekend. Stock HO 4.0L, AW-4 (column shift!) and NP-231 with stock driveshaft - no SYE.

That much trimming on the front fenders, minimal in the rear but I need to do more back there. Tires are on 15x8s with 3.75" backspacing.

Phil Weeks said:
RE 5.5" MJ kit up front, sprungover rear with OME shocks.
Open HP D30 and spooled D44 with 4.88s are going in next weekend. Stock HO 4.0L, AW-4 (column shift!) and NP-231 with stock driveshaft - no SYE.

That much trimming on the front fenders, minimal in the rear but I need to do more back there. Tires are on 15x8s with 3.75" backspacing.

I understand about the air with the smaller tires.

I have Rusty's 4.5" w/ 1.75" spacers in front and SOA in back w/ an AAL.

I'm sure I can get 35s to fit with enough trimming. I am concerned with blowing out drive train parts if I use a lockright up front and 35s :explosion .

With trimming you can fit 35's. I ran 34's with my old 6 inches of lift and a lockright up front. After blowing two axleshafts in two runs I threw the axles out and went big. All depends on how you drive though. Of course I shattered the second shaft Just crawling a small dirt hill with no throttle at all. :mad:

AJ-MJ said:
I understand about the air with the smaller tires.

I have Rusty's 4.5" w/ 1.75" spacers in front and SOA in back w/ an AAL.

I'm sure I can get 35s to fit with enough trimming. I am concerned with blowing out drive train parts if I use a lockright up front and 35s :explosion .

33's are a good tire for a 6" lift. If you run 35's and plan on getting into some pretty hairy offroading, you will want to replace the stock D30 and D35. They will last for a little while, but i wouldn't get too far down the trail from camp. With the 33's, your D30 will be fine. The D35 is notorious for being a week unit, but can be upgraded to the super35 30 spline w/ locker for about $800-$900. Or you can go with the 8.8 for around the same. When it comes to trimming fenders I chose not to do the front. BajaConcepts.com has nice fiberglass prerunner fenders for about $300 a pair. I like these because it gives you ample room to run whatever you want while keeping the xj flare look. You can get these in a 3.5" or 4.5" flare and would have no problem running 35's with your 6" lift. I'll have to post some pictures since the ones they show on their web site are the flat fender style.

Last edited:
Installed 33X12.50s and have just bought some 6"TJ flares off of ebay. Looks like I'll be cutting some sheet metal next week! :yap:

Lots of great information :eyes: Just seek and you will fine! :roflmao:

Back