• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 Cherokee Specs?

Chris J.

NAXJA Forum User
I am not new to Jeeps, but very new to Cherokees. I am planning to buy a 1989 Cherokee wit 3" of Lift, rear Detroit ez locker...and otherwise is stock. I was hoping y'all could help me out with a few questions:

How is this model year for dependability and durability?
What transmission does th 89 come with? (auto tranny)
Is there any BAD stuff I need to look at/worry about with this model year?

Thanks!

Chris

Chris, I have an 89 and have had no unusual trouble with it. The transmission is an AW-4, a very strong and tested design, mfg in Japan by Aisen-Warner.

Some minor trouble areas with mine have been a sagging headliner, and minor rust along the door bottoms (caused by a seal that retains water). One thing to watch out for is bad U-joints in the front axles. They will squeek on low speed tight turns, if they are going bad. Again, this is no big thing and are easily and cheaply replaced.

Good luck with the 'new' 89.

check for stress cracks in the body metal at the upper corners of the hatch, mine are about an inch long after 3 years of DD and moderate/hard (for florida anyhow) trail riding (doesnt mean anything dangerous but an indicator of how hard its been ridden.) Also look above the muffler/cat converter for rust of the floorboard.

great engine, very reliable, but not a great cooling system but can be upgraded to work fine. overheating problems

watch for rusted out drivers side or passenger side floor pans.

poor rear brakes.

all in all, great vehicle. IMO

I don't know what everybody else's experence is, but both my 89 and 90 XJ's have some wierd electrical problems..... lights staying on, wierd shorts, etc. Other than that, I had 310,000km (193,000mi) on the 90 and I have 450000km (280,000mi) on the 89 with the original drivelines with only a few problems (my AW4 is acting up. I'm in the process of figuring the thing out) .

I just replaced my exhaust on my 89 and noticed some serious rust on the rear passenger side floor panel. Is this a common problem and if so why?

seems like exhaust leaks/heat help rot the floor pan there. Easy enough to put new metal in....

I've had my '89 for about four years now and it is a very strong car, after I redid the radiator. Its a very fun car to drive around the city and take off road on the weekend. I'd get it if the body is straight and it runs strong... I've got only 125,000 on it and have had to do very little to it. The Tranny is still very clean and will probably give another 50-75,000 miles before getting replaced. The engine will give about 300,000 before it goes if you maintain it regularly...

jeepguy97 said:
a CAR.....UUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...not to pick but ya gotta at least call it a truck.

Why? It's a fricken station wagon....

Back