• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WARNING: Check your.....

climbon

NAXJA Forum User
FYI: I was going down the road today and started smelling something that seemed familiar. It started getting stronger and thought it was coming through the vents on the dash.Then as soon as it dawned on me what it was I heard a high pitch rattle sound under the shifter. My return line for the tranny cooler broke between where the rubber and aluminum meets before sending it back. Down in the left bottom corner where the automatic cooling fan is. All my transmission oil was pumped out within minutes winding up all over the left side of my engine and left front wheel well. Luckly I was going in a 35 zone so I pulled over fast and shut her down. Called my dealer friend and found out this has been an on going problem with some newer models, "bad design". So keep an eye on them. Called the wife, took me to Checker and filled it back up and she still purs just fine. I got lucky, I'm wonering if anybody else has had this problem?

same thing happened to me with my 88, was going down a big hill too and couldn't really pull over, 2 lane mountain road, i had to dump it in neutral for about 40, or 50 seconds or so and pull into a driveway

then more bad things happened, like my friend came down to get me locked himself outta car etc.... had to call AAA to unlock him.

either way no tranny damage and mine was run hard i was letting the jeep brake itself under tranny power 3rd gear, when it blew so it ran for a bit like that.

no damage that i've noticed yet and i had to put 8 quarts back into her

Back