• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lug nut torgue specks????

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey
Did a search and did not find it.
I am looking for the torque specs for the lug nuts?
I have a 97 XJ.
Thanks

i believe those are German-spec....

guttentight (good-n-tight)

:laugh3:

im sure there is a spec, but i usually just impact them on and impact them off

it doesnt say in your owners manual?

Although the XJ has always used 1/2x20 lugs, the factory torque spec has varied widely over the years. For a '97 somewhere around 100 to 115 lb-ft should be correct.

That's for clean, dry threads. I use anti-sieze on my lugs and with that the torque should be reduced about 20% to 25%. I always use a torque wrench set for 90 lb-ft. Never had a problem, either with lug nuts backing off or with studs getting stretched.

Thanks for the reply.
Since I moved I cant find my FSM or the owners either.
Thanks again for the help.

Eagle said:
Although the XJ has always used 1/2x20 lugs, the factory torque spec has varied widely over the years. For a '97 somewhere around 100 to 115 lb-ft should be correct.

That's for clean, dry threads. I use anti-sieze on my lugs and with that the torque should be reduced about 20% to 25%. I always use a torque wrench set for 90 lb-ft. Never had a problem, either with lug nuts backing off or with studs getting stretched.

How tight is tight enough?

I've owned my 90 since new and have never gone beyond 75! The spec I have used was for aluminum wheels on another vehicle that had only 4 lug nuts. If you go german, you risk over stressing the wheel leading to potential failure. Steel wheels will take a lot more.

Torque Specifications
Component: Service set to Torque: Service Recheck Torque

Wheel lug nuts: (75Ft-lbs): (65-80ft-lbs)

From the yellow Jeep book

Hmmm --

Okay, you forced me to bring out the books.

'86 FSM ==> 75 ft-lbs
'94 FSM ==> 80 to 110 ft-lbs
'00 FSM ==> 85 to 115 ft-lbs

Back