• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'94 np231 into an '88, how to deal with electrical/mechanical speedo difference?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting an AW4 and 231 out of a 94 into my '88 MJ, mine is currently setup with a mechanical speedo cable, but the 94 uses an electrical speedo.

Can I swap the speedo units between the t-cases? I've been looking for an exploded diagram of the 231 to get a better idea, but no luck so far

mad maXJ said:
I am putting an AW4 and 231 out of a 94 into my '88 MJ, mine is currently setup with a mechanical speedo cable, but the 94 uses an electrical speedo.

Can I swap the speedo units between the t-cases? I've been looking for an exploded diagram of the 231 to get a better idea, but no luck so far

swapping the speedo gear/sensor is a non issue (one bolt!)

The outside portions may be similar (except for the obvious), but it's the shafts inside that are the tricky part. I asked around a couple years ago and was told that they were not interchangeable. The shafts were longer/shorter or something like that. So if anyone has any *concrete* evidence that this is possible, I'd love to hear about it! I'm currently using my tachometer as the speedometer. (99 t-case in an 88 MJ)
Jeep on!
--Pete

I'v done just the opposite..

88 AW4 and 242 into a 94. You need the correct speedo gear,it's factory Mopar but cant remember if you need the short or long version.

You'll also need to change the kickdown cable...the 94's HO will be too long for the non HO. For this you'll need to drop the pan.

I came into this problem as I'm doing a '98 231 into my '89. I took the manual sensor off the '89 and tried to put it into the '98, didn't work, it was too short/long (I forget). So I took the gears off the '98 sensor and swapped them onto the shaft of the '89 manual sensor. Took a look to sit if it aligned properly in the transfercase, and everything seemed ok. I bolted it on with no problems, turned the yoke on the transfercase and could see the manual sensor spinning properly. I assume it will work when my tranny/tcase conversion is done, hopefully in a few days.

Back