• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axles do I have?

89xjgrey

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.0 w/np242...

Just out of curiousity, what axles do I have in the front and rear provided that they are stock? Thanks.

89xjgrey said:
1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.0 w/np242...

Just out of curiousity, what axles do I have in the front and rear provided that they are stock? Thanks.

I would say "Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut" in the front and either the "Dana 35 non c-clip" or "Dana 44 non c-clip" in the rear.

Just my 2cents.

My 89 has a high-pinion reverse cut dana 30 up front with a non c-clip 35 in the back. I also have the 242 tcase and an AW4 tranny. The axle ration is 3.55:1. I have the pioneer trim model.

Hiaboo said:
I'll jump on this as well, I have a '94 xj country.. I'd suspect i'd have the same thing as well?

with a 94 you'd probably have the corp 8.25. unless you have ABS (in which case you would have the dana 35)

CaptTrev said:
with a 94 you'd probably have the corp 8.25. unless you have ABS (in which case you would have the dana 35)

I gather from my readings that the dana 35's aren't the prime choice, however, i've not heard anything about the corp 8.25 good or bad? info plz, newb here ^_^

Hiaboo said:
I gather from my readings that the dana 35's aren't the prime choice, however, i've not heard anything about the corp 8.25 good or bad? info plz, newb here ^_^

If you have a 8.25, it's the 27 spline one, but it can be upgraded to 29 spline which is supposed to be significantly better :D

ah hmmmm.. alright.. better is better. :) but I gotta get the stock changed to non-stock first and some moola would help :-/ (considring wheels and 3" lift for starters but that's for another time)

what ketjar said. the 8.25 27 spline is fr all intents and purpose no better than the D35. and unless u can find CHEAP axles shafts, and homebrew some discs, i'd suggest jsut going to an 8.8 or more. as for what u ahve, its impossible to say with out looking. my understanding is that its a hodgepodge of what was available at the time your jeep was put together. easy way to check is to look at the diff cover, if its flat on the bottom, its 8.25, if not, its D35. as a side note, drum brake innerds will swap between the two.

Back