• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop in MPG

Chux01Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Want a few opinions on this matter. I recently switched from the crappy factory Goodyears to Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. I do meticulous mantenance on my Jeep and I noticed a 2-4 mpg drop recently. Whereas I used to get about 20-22 highway I now notice I get only about as high as 18. My theory is that the rolling resistance is higher on these tires as I have even had a complete tune up just 2 weeks ago. I have a 4.0 with an automatic. I understand that that I have been using the 4wd recently and that will definitely drop mpg--but the numbers I see are from using just 2wd in daily use--mostly highway. Any and all input will be appreciated--Thanks

what tire pressure were you running in the goodyear tires?

what tire pressure is currently in the new tires?

proper tire pressure plays a fairly major role in resistance/mpg

as far as the tread goes, im not familiar with your new tire tread, but im going to guess with the AT tread pattern, you MAY have a SLIGHT decrease in mpg (as compared to bald goodyears)

check your pressure though ;-)

CaptTrev

CaptTrev said:
what tire pressure were you running in the goodyear tires?

what tire pressure is currently in the new tires?

proper tire pressure plays a fairly major role in resistance/mpg

as far as the tread goes, im not familiar with your new tire tread, but im going to guess with the AT tread pattern, you MAY have a SLIGHT decrease in mpg (as compared to bald goodyears)

check your pressure though ;-)

CaptTrev

I was running about 44 psi on the Goodyears last I checked the Revos were about the same--and to my eyes the tread pattern is much more aggressive that the RT-S Goodyears which I primarily believe to be much more road biased--but those tires sure did suck in bad weather--thanks for the quick reply!!!

If your new tires are larger than your old tires you will see an apparent drop in MPG because of the difference in tire size.

89xj said:
44psi seems pretty high.

44 psi seems REALLY high

i would guess you should only keep the tires at about 35psi or so.

read the info stamped on the tire itself--it will tell you what it reccommends based on weight, load, temperature etc

CaptTrev said:
44 psi seems REALLY high

i would guess you should only keep the tires at about 35psi or so.

read the info stamped on the tire itself--it will tell you what it reccommends based on weight, load, temperature etc

44 psi is much too high. The stock tires are supposed to run at 30, and with bigger tires you need less, not more.

However ... the numbers on the sidewall are not recommendations. That tells you the MAXIMUM pressure to which that tire can be safely inflated, and the MAXIMUM load that tire will carry at maximum pressure.

Eagle said:
44 psi is much too high. The stock tires are supposed to run at 30, and with bigger tires you need less, not more.

However ... the numbers on the sidewall are not recommendations. That tells you the MAXIMUM pressure to which that tire can be safely inflated, and the MAXIMUM load that tire will carry at maximum pressure.

I thought 44 psi was too high--and I am running the stock size 22575R15s so I dont think size matters in this case (no puns please)--I will double check all my pressures to make sure. I appreciate all the input and this website is by far the best forum for all questions!!!

Back