• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd vacuum fix?

pokeyrugby

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 xj that I got only a few months ago and the 4wd just crapped out. Apparantly, the little vacuum deal is not seal right. I'm pretty green when it comes to this stuff, any ideas on where I can get some info on how to fix it? I want to learn how this stuff works by doing it myself, but I don't know where to begin.

my webpage has a write up on how to hard lock the disconnect together.

www.geocities.com/xj_59101

basicly you take the disconnect cover off and lock the fork over into the locked position with 10-11 11mm washers. If you raise the pass. side of the axle with a jack you shouldn't loose much, if any oil when you take the vacuum cover off. The entire motor, shaft are taken apart by removing the inner e clips. Then you can just cap off the vaccum lines. The only downside is the 4x4 light won't work.

If you want to learn, your best bet is a factory service manual unless you have a private tutor. The Haynes and Chiltons are okay for a lot of things but often not the best. You can probably still get a new FSM from Chrysler. Two years ago I bought one from them for my '89. Cost was about a buck a year.

one other option is called a posi-lok. I put one on mine was pretty simple and no problems so far. Still have the option to lock or unlock and you know it's locked when you lock it. No wondering about vaccuum

pokeyrugby said:
thanks, man. I think I will get that posi lok set up. If it's less apt to brake, then I like it!

Here's the installation instructions - http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/pdfs/PSL900_web.pdf the part#'s for the cast iron shift fork upgrade and wear clips are in found there in the instructions. You may want to get those as well.
Mike B.

Weasel, cool website thatnks for the info. I actually was part of the BYU Mini Baja team in 2000. We took 1st and 3rd overall, boy was that fun.

Back