• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how about timing gears? no chains

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
i don't like my crappy timing chain i never installed it right i don't thing or maybe it is a little losse or something? does anyone know if they make gear driven timing?

stoney

Jeep used to sell one through the performance catalog. It was dropped a couple of years ago and I doubt very much you'd be able to find one now.

I am not aware of an aftermarket source, but it's unlikely DaimlerChrysler made it. They probably bought them from one of the specialty manufacturers, and if you could find out who actually made it you might be able to buy one.

I checked into the gear thing while building my motor, ended up that a gear drive was over $400 for the 4.0 if you could find it. I decided to go a true roller double roller chain with magnafluxed gears for about $150.
The 4.0 chain set uses steel gear teeth and isn't prone to failure in stock form, so I don't think that gear drives are anymore than bling for all but the ultimate race prepped mills.

Bones :skull1:

Bones said:
I checked into the gear thing while building my motor, ended up that a gear drive was over $400 for the 4.0 if you could find it. I decided to go a true roller double roller chain with magnafluxed gears for about $150.
The 4.0 chain set uses steel gear teeth and isn't prone to failure in stock form, so I don't think that gear drives are anymore than bling for all but the ultimate race prepped mills.

Bones :skull1:

And don't forget, they are loud as heck. Straight cut gears = supercharger like sound, even at idle.

The Mopar set-up, if you are interested is: P5249009

Mancini Racing may have one, they used to have a picture of one on their website.

CRASH

I thought about it, but a few people I talked to had concerns that the noise could cause problems with the knock sensor. The only differences you would really get is the noise, just put a reall blower on if thats what you want.

You would have one heck of a problem with side thrust issues on a helical gearset....get a double roller set thru mopar performance or from Hesco.

By the way, if any 2.5 owners see this... the chain and gear set for the 4.0 will work well in a 2.5 by deleting the chain tensioner and removing the slider from the camchain cover ;)

well noise dosn't matter! its sounds cooler!! i just don't like the way my chain rides but i probly won't ever convert it jsut seeing if anyone has seen it before!!

stoney

"And don't forget, they are loud as heck. Straight cut gears = supercharger like sound, even at idle."

had a landcruiser, it used timing gears, no supercharger like sound....

xjblaine said:
"And don't forget, they are loud as heck. Straight cut gears = supercharger like sound, even at idle."

had a landcruiser, it used timing gears, no supercharger like sound....

That's becasue it was designed properly with three gears held in bearing affixed to the block.

Aftermarket conversion timing gears have two side gears held into a bridge. They produce and transmit a loud whining sound.

CRASH

MudDawg said:
You would have one heck of a problem with side thrust issues on a helical gearset....get a double roller set thru mopar performance or from Hesco.

By the way, if any 2.5 owners see this... the chain and gear set for the 4.0 will work well in a 2.5 by deleting the chain tensioner and removing the slider from the camchain cover ;)

Helical "quiet" gear sets are available for Chevy, Ford and Mopar apps, just not AMC.

CRASH

Back