• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tubing benders; what brand to buy?

xjhm

NAXJA Forum User
i am thinking of making some rock rails for my xj.....maybe a rack for the roof ...anyone have any opinions on a good brand of tubing bender to buy? i do have some fabrication experience ie; welding, plating, bracing... i was hoping to pick one up in the $300 to $500 range possibly a little more when the extra die sets are added in........it needs to bend 1/2" to 2" i have looked at the vansant model 3 and seem to like it but, i would rather have anyone`s second opinion.............thanks

for just rock-rails and roof rack, I would say get the cheap $60 PIPE bender from Harbor-Freight. If you think you want to get into cages and such, the JD2 and ProTools TUBE benders are the popular ones for guys doing the rock-crawling thing.

mad maXJ said:
for just rock-rails and roof rack, I would say get the cheap $60 PIPE bender from Harbor-Freight. If you think you want to get into cages and such, the JD2 and ProTools TUBE benders are the popular ones for guys doing the rock-crawling thing.

I have the pro tools 105 bender, with the 2in die capable of doing 180 degree bends I have about $550 into it. You have to buy a die set for every size tube you want to bend. About $200 per die set depending on size and degree bend you need.

Roof rack and sliders should be different size tube so even the cheepest "tube" benders seam to be out of your price range...

use box tube :D

I never played with the HF Pipe bender but it sure would not be great for bending up a cage. Not safe IMO. If you fill the Pipe with sand before bending that will help stretch it kinda like a mandrel tube bender does,a nd help prevent kinking. That may do want you want for sliders and for teh roof rack..

The pro tools 105 tube bender only can accet tube up to 2in. For sliders I would reccomend 3/16in as a minimum wall thickness but 188 wall and thicker 2in tube is really hard on the 105 follower die, and could easily gull (deep scratche) it or fully destroy it. 120wall 2in tube dents, Thats what i used on my outer slider bar.

I was told it is not reccomended to bend 2in tube over 188wall thickness on the protools bender, even if you got the HD version they both use the same dies and the follower die is what would get messed up.

have fun.

just ordered

a vansant model 3 bender. they have it for $266 right now if you go to their website. It has the degree wheel and you can order the arm for $26.
You can make a stand yourself for the extra $100 dollars they want for the whole shabang at $399.
I did order a 1.75 x5.5clr to start out with. I will probably order a 1" and maybe a 1.5" depending on what I plan to build. I know there is an EXO cage on my sons agenda when we get it.
GRNT

Danno said:
the web sites showing the Model 3 doesn't say that it's made by JD2. But it is. Are they selling them under their own name?

Yea, its the same bender.

Mil

GRNT said:
a vansant model 3 bender. they have it for $266 right now if you go to their website. It has the degree wheel and you can order the arm for $26.
You can make a stand yourself for the extra $100 dollars they want for the whole shabang at $399.
I did order a 1.75 x5.5clr to start out with. I will probably order a 1" and maybe a 1.5" depending on what I plan to build. I know there is an EXO cage on my sons agenda when we get it.
GRNT
JD is offering the same deal on their site. Any reason to not buy from the maker?

JnJ said:
JD is offering the same deal on their site. Any reason to not buy from the maker?

I remembered that they may not ship in time.
Mil

Jd2

JnJ said:

When I ordered my model 3 from JD2 it took about 2 weeks to arrive at my house. When I ordered my 1.75" 5.5 CLR die it took about 3 weeks. Sinse then I have ordered a degree ring and some other parts from Vansant and they usually arrive the same week I purchased them. I'm not sure if this helps but IMO I would order from Vansant...same product just a little faster. I am also in need of a smaller die. I think I should have purchased a 1" or 1.25" die. Also, make your own stand...it's really easy.

Later,
Jaromy

Are there any webshops or firms that take orders per e-mail which are willing to ship to Europe AND have good benders for a reasonable price? :) A lot to ask perhaps, but my friend and I are building and planning to build some cages and tubular chassies, but we're all new to this and so far he's got the bender where you need to fill the tubes with sand and just that is a lot of work. The tubes also get wrinkled on the inside, and it's hard to bend them accurately etc etc we want something better.

Back