• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

after market valve cover

highcj5

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if anybody knew of a company that made aluminum valve covers for older cherokees? i posted on JU and someone told me i might be able to fit the newer style model on, with some modification to the vent lines. i have an 88 4.0, and quadratec sells valve covers for 94 and up. i need to take my valve cover off and clean it inside and might as well upgrade in the process. thanks, :skull2:

thanks for the website. i checked it though and could not find any valve covers. could just be me though, i am a computer idiot. :wow:

JEEP 4.0L ENGINE PARTS
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Type[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]For[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]Year[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]Part No.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]OVERHAUL GASKET SET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]GASKET SET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP LOWER KIT[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]89-91[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]83505389[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]GASKET SET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP LOWER KIT[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]92[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]4713221[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]GASKET SET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP LOWER KIT[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]93-97[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]4740008[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]GASKET SET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP UPPER KIT[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]89-90[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]83505141[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]GASKET SET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP UPPER KIT[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]91-97[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]4636982[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]CYLINDER HEAD[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]CYLINDER HEAD[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]89-90[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]83503406[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]CYLINDER HEAD[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]91-95[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]33007118[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]CYLINDER HEAD[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]96-97[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]53020662[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]CYLINDER HEAD GASKET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]HEAD GASKET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]89-90[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]33004447[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]HEAD GASKET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]91-93[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]33007143[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]HEAD GASKET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]94-95[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]53020219[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]HEAD GASKET[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]96-97[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]53020754[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]:party: VALVE COVER:party: [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]VALVE COVER[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]JEEP[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]89-90[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]4626078[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]VALVE [/font]

-look again, they're on the link
-j​

i have an 88 4.0, there valve covers start in 89. there is probably no difference though. seems like they are stock replacements. was looking for an aluminum one.

highcj5 said:
i have an 88 4.0, there valve covers start in 89. there is probably no difference though. seems like they are stock replacements. was looking for an aluminum one.

Noones valve covers start in 89, they start in maybe 91...87-90 has the aluminum one.

jjvande said:
oops, sorry. I too have an 88 and have never seen one aftermarket..

I had the same problem as you.

I have an 88 too...

It is aluminum...Take it to a place that sandblasts and sandblast it down, then go to checker and get some METALCAST paint. Works wonders.

Im assuming your talking about making it look better...???

i have a major blow-by problem on it. i was going to pull it in the shop this weekend or next and take the valve cover off and replace the gasket. isn't the pcv valve built into the cover? i was just wanting to replace with a new cover. i also have to drop the oil pan and replace the rear main seal. want to do it all at one time, to hopefully fix my problem. i had replaced the hoses on top of the valve cover about 30,000 miles ago so they are probably in need of changing also.

highcj5 said:
i have a major blow-by problem on it. i was going to pull it in the shop this weekend or next and take the valve cover off and replace the gasket. isn't the pcv valve built into the cover? i was just wanting to replace with a new cover. i also have to drop the oil pan and replace the rear main seal. want to do it all at one time, to hopefully fix my problem. i had replaced the hoses on top of the valve cover about 30,000 miles ago so they are probably in need of changing also.

You dont HAVE to replace it. Just clean it real good and replace the hoses and such on it. See this article (its a 2 parter and has the part #s needed for the job):

http://www.jeepnorthwest.com/tech/valvecover/valvecover.html

Just ran accross another article that is even better:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/04_apr/valvecover/cover.html

Back