• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"NO BUS" Error....and Jeep recovery

Jeremy 99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
Just came back from deployment and recovered the '99 XJ after a year of it sitting on jack stands at my buddy's house. The plans for his wife to start it twice a month using the remote start fell through after a month or so when a wire shook loose, so of course it sat without starting for the rest of the year. :bawl: So after a jump start and about 15 minutes holding a little gas, the Jeep finally ran enough for me to make it to the shop and swap in a new battery. I changed the oil for some new mobil 1 and a wix filter and she seemed to be running flawlessly until later on in the day at idle when the check engine light flashed on and the words 'no bus' appeared in the odometer. The tach. went to zero for a moment then the error flashed off only to show up once more. Haven't seen it since then. I'd appreciate any enlightenment as to what went on as well as any advice as to what else I need to include in my services as I take the Jeep out of mothballs.
Thanks!
Jeremy
Fort Campbell, KY

I've troubleshot LAN (Local Area Network) problems for the last 10 years. No bus, or No buss activity means that there is a signal loss. I am not sure if the Jeep message means the same thing, but I would suspect a bad, or damaged, or loose odometer cable connection.
Good luck and welcome back.
And thank you for your service! - really :us: :us: :wave:

he is correct. it means communication was lost between controllers. especially the pcm-cluster. if its not currently doing it then don't bother taking it to the dealer. they won't be able to accurately diagnose the problem.

Thanks for the info! So far I haven't seen the error again.... I've heard many tales of chewed wires on vehicles around here after long term storage so I'll have to check to make sure no badgers or other critters tried to disable my tach or anything else.
Jeremy

Back