• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire storage

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know how big of a tire you can put inside the XJ on the spare tire mount? i don't want to put it on top of the rig, and don't have the money to buy a tire carrier on my four real bumper.

also, does anyone know if you can add leaf by leaf to OEM leaf packs. (have a 2.5"leaf and later add a 2.5" leaf to the entire pack), does anyone know how much rusty's 3.5" add a leaf will settle to?

brandon

Last edited:
How big a tire you can carry in the stock location varies by vehicle. I can carry a 30x9.50-15 in the stock location ('88 Pioneer), and my friend could do the same with his '94 Sport. At the dealer on Saturday morning I talked to a customer in the parts department who couldn't fit a 235/75R15 in his.

You can fit a 31, maybe even a 32, lying down but not standing up in the stock location. Caveat: You might fit a 31 if you leave the rear seat back folded down. I'm addressing the fit with the seat back up.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the springs. Sure you can add another AAL at any time, but are you asking if you can get to a 5" lift using stock springs and two AALs? First, the second AAL would need more arch or it won't really add 2.5". Second, the stock main leaf is too short to work at 5" of lift. You won't get decent suspension travel even if you do get to 5" of lift.

Don't know about the leaf springs, but I'm sure Eagle hit it right one. But I have a 33x10.5r15 BFG AT laying down in the back with the seat up. Before that I had a 32x9.5 Swamper back there as a spare. The biggest I got in the spare tire holder is a 30x9.5 BFG MT on a 88' Larado. Juice

I have a 32 X 1150 in the back with the rear seat still assesable to the kids car seat. It is very tight and sometimes it wont close so I just make sure its pushed as far forward and to the side as possible before trying to close the hatch.

I carried a 285/75R16 (33x11.50) back there for a while. You have to leave the back seat down to get away with it though.

standard.jpg

A 31" tire is the largest size I have heard of anyone being able to put in the back.

I have my 31" BFG AT KO in the stock location. I just had to remove the bracket that held the donut up. The backseat goes back but the only prob is the back seat doesnt lock into place, but you can barely notice it.

Back