• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker has an irratic idle

CW

NAXJA Forum User
I started breaking in my stroker today and I am very impressed, it would have killed my old motor hands down, I can't wait till I can really get on it. Anyway, about half the time when I push in the clutch the rpms drop really fast and if I don't shift really quick it dies. It also idles up at 2500 about half the time, but the other times it idled at 600rpms. I couldn't find any vacume leaks and I don't hear any. My engine is an '87 renix block, AP kit, 4.0 rods, ported HO head, HO manifolds, HO TB, HO TPS and Idle speed sensor, High altitude CPS, all the other sensors are stock from my '89, IAT located in the air tube, ford 29# injectors, comp 250h cam. I only have about 3.5 feet of exhaust pipe on it right now, I am getting an exhaust intalled tomarrow. Could not having enough back presure cause this problem? I just can't figure out why the problem is so unconsistant. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Check the IAS for carbon?

The stroker should idle at 600 or so - idling high is a common problem with stock 4.0's - find and fix that and then you will be all set. Also when fixed you can set the idle at about 800 RPM and it will run cleaner on emissions.

Ho Tps?

reread your msg and saw HO TPS? You can't run a HO tps - you need to adapt the Renix TPS - or is that a misread?

rsalemi said:
reread your msg and saw HO TPS? You can't run a HO tps - you need to adapt the Renix TPS - or is that a misread?

I saw that as well. Your renix computer is totally confused by your HO TPS if that is how you have it set up.

You need to adapt the Renix TPS to the HO throttle body.

CRASH

Yes, I adapted my wiring harness to plug into the HO TPS. And I think you guys are right. I unplugged it this morning and my idle went back down to normal, I have been driving with it unplugged today. I'm not totaly convinced that it cant work, I might just have it wired wrong. It still dies when I take it out of gear after its been cruising for a while though. :dunno:
This is the thread on the TPS I started a while back. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15188&highlight=TPS

Back