• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow Tire Question

Digger Franson

NAXJA Forum User
I use BFG AT 31x10.50x15 now on a 3" lifted '94 XJ. I was wondering if a narrower tire would be better for driving in the snow like either a 30x9.50 or a 33x9.50. And also would Mud Terrain be better than All Terrain? Any opinions are welcome.

Snow Tires?

Your choice of tire will depend on the type of snow you drive in. In a way, snow is like mud. There are those that say go wide so you float over the top and those that say to go tall and narrow to get to the hard stuff at the bottom. You choice will depend on your personal preference. I've seen that a skinnier tire generally does better in the snow, until the snow gets wet and heavy.

Consider that once you get to the ground under the snow, it is frozen. Because of this it is provides just a little more traction than ice. You may want to get your tires siped so they can grab better. The only real way to get any winter traction in the snow, and I'm assuming that you are off-road, it to get chains for your tires. A truck on open diffs and chains will usually spank a truck thats running lockers front and back with no chains.

I live in northern Alberta (Canada) and have found that tread compound (the softer, the better) and not tread style makes the difference in winter grip. Snow won't clog a tire the way that mud does, and so an open lug isn't a huge advantage. Also, mud-terrain tires, for the most part, don't do that well on ice or even wet pavement. For winter wheeling, you can't be afraid to use the skinny petal liberally, as momentum is the key to getting though snow.

Basically, I'm suggesting that you keep the tires you have and get a set of tire chains. You'll be hard to stop.

You may also want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.missioncontrol.ca/cgi-bi...epTech;action=display;num=1067492637;start=15

This is from the ECO forum. These guys are all Canadian boys who don't let snow stop the fun. Here's some pic's from one of our winter runs. I'm in the little blue XJ. I've got no lift, 31's that fit because I don't hold sheet metal in high regard, and a Lincoln-locked rear end. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the big boys until I blew a bead and grenaded my 35.

http://www.missioncontrol.ca/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Eco;action=display;num=1073681885

Last edited:
If you're looking for an excellent on road snow/ice tire look into the Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z2. I've got 31x10.5 BFG ATs on my XJ and I do real well, but I put 225 75-16s on my wife's WJ and they are great! Totally blows away my ATs in the slippery snow/slush/icy roads.

Digger Franson said:
I don't mean off-roading. I just mean driving in general. Are AT's better on ice than MT's?

It is best not to make generalizations, except that nothing is good on pure ice. If you are talking black ice, say like a quarter inch of perfectly smooth freezing drizzle, then you need a pure snow tire (or stay at home), no AT's, no MT's, no all season. These tires have millions of micropores that suck water off the ice layer like a sponge to give traction. Tire pressure on ice creates a film of water, which makes ice far more slick, and these tires deal with that to the extent it can be dealt with (Bridgestone pioneered this technology with the Blizzak, but virtually everybody else has it now). These tires also wear very poorly in warm temperatures, but those compounds do not freeze even in sub-zero temps, so they retain performance even in artic conditions. They are often called studless snow tires...studded tires are better on pure ice, but they stink on dry payment and I wouldn't run them over a studless unless I lived with a snowpack 6 months out of the year.

Now if you are talking about hardpack snow with frozen icy spots, that is a different question (although the studdless snows are still the best you can get for these conditions). Some AT's are a lot better than some MT's, and some MT's will surprise you. I disagree on the comment that tread compound is most important, and tread design less so (take a look at the most "late model" studless snow tire designs and see if you can pick out the arrowhead design of the center tread that is becoming common across these tires, as well as other similar aspects of unidirectional tread design). They are both very important.

In a 4x4 tire, I believe the most important aspects are excellent lateral and braking traction, since most open lug tire designs will provide very good forward traction in combination with 4x4. This is, in my opinion, why you see the roads littered with wrecked and stranded 4x4's in snowstorms - people get over confident with the forward traction but their OEM "all-season" tires provide poor lateral and braking traction (and once they are off the road in deep stuff, poor forward traction). It is a lack of lateral traction that frightens me the most, because I think it is the least predictable characteristic of most all season or AT tires in the snow, and the most difficult to correct once traction is lost (research studless tires and you will see a strong focus on lateral traction). This is especially true in off camber situations offroad with lockers...you want a tire that will hold a straight line to the greatest degree possible. AT's do a very poor job of this as their lateral traction is more predicated on siping than lug design (I think interlocking tread designs like the BFG AT offer poor lateral traction...just my experience).

For a number of years, I only ran skinnier tires, up to 33x10.5 BFG AT ko's. I thought they were good in the snow with 4wd, certainly as good as the all season tires I had previously. But they were always a bit squirrely around corners and it was pretty easy to kick out the rear even in full time 4wd (AWD) with front and rear limited slips. I live on the Front Range in Colorado, and we get powder that quickly packs down into an icy hardpack. I recently realized that I have never run a good snow tire.

I now run 34x12.5 Interco trxus (on 7" rims that keep the tire somewhat narrower), which is an MT tire that is siped on the inner lugs and has an inner lug design that, in my opinion, is all about lateral traction like many other Inteco tires. These tires are so good on icy snowpack that they made me realize that the OEM Bridgestone all seasons on my Subaru wagon were severely underperforming, and I put dedicated snows on the Sube (Nokian WR). Yes, I was more comfortable in hardpack snow/ice conditions in my 8" lifted XJ than in my AWD Sube. Of course, the Sube was unstoppable with the Nokians, and an awful lot of fun.

Despite being an MT, and a wider tire at that, the trxus have displayed excellent, and more importantly predictable, lateral traction and very good braking traction. They don't surprise (or at least haven't yet in two winters), which is what you want in the snow/ice pack. It is difficult to adapt to suprises in low traction conditions, but comfortable to drive something that eases gently into its limits. The forward traction is so good that I can't get the back to swing out unless I really mash on it, and even then, I really need to be in 2wd. Of course, I do have full time 4wd with a rear Detroit and front Tru Trac, which is an awesome snow setup, but not materially different than my setup with the skinnier BFG's.

I have dedicated winter tires (Nokian Q's) on my minivan (sold the Sube), and they are very good. The lateral and braking traction of these tires is simply outstanding, you hardly know you are driving on snow, and the dry road behavior is also excellent. I'd take these tires on FWD over all seasons with AWD any day of the week. If you have the coin, a set of this type tire (Nokian Q, Bridgestone Winter Dueler, etc) will be excellent for road use but they will not handle deep stuff anywhere near as well as an MT.

The trxus is the only true all terrain tire I have ever run. Not the very best at anything, but very good in every type of condition I've put it through from rain and snow to rock crawling. Kinda like the XJ. I will never run an AT again, and I don't think a 35" studdless snow tires is in the cards even if somebody makes one someday.

Nay

The simple options are chains, studs, or winter compound tires. Depends on how much traction you want.

ky winter the blizzard of `94........two ford rangers.........both lifted mine had bfg mt .......my buddy had bfg at.......mine did much better.....in deep deep snow ....also slightly better on the hard packed ...other brands may have faired different depending on where you live or drive........but i wouldn`t go through the trouble of changing tires for a two-three month period......

Thanks Dave and everyone else. I just basically wanted to know which of these would perform better in regular daily snow driving: 31x10.50x15, 30x9.50x15 or 33x9.50x15 and either AT or MT.

Also, I have the 31x10.50x15 AT KO but I get alot of crap(road slush, mud, etc.) thrown up the sides and windows of my XJ and I don't know if splash guards would help since the tires go a little beyond my fender flares. When I drive on wet roads I can see the water flipping up from the tires and all over the vehicle and in the winter that is more salt than I want.

FWIW, i've been pretty happy with my 30x9.50 mud kings in the winters here in michigan. if you're asking simply narrowerv. wider, i much prefer the skinny in the snow. but, theres a lot of other variables, as mentioned earlier. but i think you would find mud kings to work pretty well, and not expensive.

Hey Nay,
I've heard a lot of good about the trxus mt tires, including your experience. Can you post any pics w/them? I'm considering the 34 or 35 12.50s, and think they'll be a bit wide for my tast and set-up. I wish they made a good radial like that in 35x10.50. Now I have 34x9.5 bias tsls, about half tread life left.

Cameron

I am running a generic snow/all terrain tire It has worked really well on snowy roads that I couldn't even walk on. You'll want something that really picks up the snow so it sticks to the snow on the ground. Down side to this is that they aren't so good in mud. I ussually will just spin the tires after a mudy hillclimb to through the mud off.

My trXus MTs have been kicking ol' man winter's butt! I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking for an all-around great tire. So far they've excelled at snowy streets, deep snow, sand, rain, and freeway driving (quiet). Haven't done any mud yet (gotta wait till Michigan thaws out), but I fully expect them to hold they're own. My sister just got a set of trXus STS tires and I think they're even better on the ice than my MTs! I got a chance to borrow her TJ to go up to camp (MJ was down with alternator troubles) and I could run it up the frozen hilly roads with ease! Seriously! It was a real struggle to get the tires to spin. Even after popping the cluth, they'ed spin for an instant, then launch me up the same hill that my buddy had to work at with his Bronco and 33" BFG ATs if he started from a stop. (Granted, his truck does weigh considerably more. ;-)

Here are some gratuitous pics:
43899215.jpg

43518569.jpg

And my tires:
33372750.jpg

43518413.jpg

In the bed you can see the 31" BFG that just had a nail hole repaired. They are the winter shoes for my Dakota R/T (the reliable truck in my fleet). I have some very fond memories of the 30" BFG ATs that my Comanche once wore (back when it was a lowly 2wd), but the 31s on the Dakota frustrate me greatly. They just don't seem to have the stopping power that I remember in the slick stuff. Oh well, they are still *infinitely* better than the summer tires! (BFG Skorchers)
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back