• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ country edition.

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all... This is my first post, and I'm a new jeep owner (a bit more than a year and half) and I've met a few people since then that do some wheeling but, not TOO much (stock stuff, some minor upgrades there such as 30's, etc). My XJ is completely stock and it looks great but, hopefully with time and some $ soon, it'll look even better :D . I was just wondering what extactly are the pros and cons of this edition, I've searched and read all over the 'net for a little time now and I've not found much about this particular edition. So.. yeah, throw it to me guys... Also, the more I read, the more I'm considring getting a 3" lift and some 31's. (to keep it streetable but able to handle some goodly wheelin) I live in the northeastern area, more specifically, New York and Mass. I'll post about the upgrade ideas bt that's for another time, different thread. Sorry for making this long....

p.s. It's auto if that helps. also, forgot to mention that its a 4x4 but i'd think it's a given :)

I believe all Country models came with auto. The Country basically replaced the Wagoneer in the lineup, and was a fairly luxery model. After it was discontinued, the closest thing to it was probably the Classic.

The only suggestion I can offer is to ask if you have ABS. If you do, you may choose to keep it for street duty, but many people don't like it for off-road duty.

Check out the North Atlantic Chapter forum. You're in our territory, so we'll hope to see you at a trail ride or meet & greet.

then how do i find out if it does have ABS I haven't seen anything on my xj regarding that, and I dont think trading it in for another xj is a real option right now unfortunately. so I'll make do with what i have.

There are a couple of ways to check for ABS........ one is to take it up to 20 mph, and stand on the brakes.

The other way is to see if the additional ABS hardware is in place. Basic XJ brakes have a vacuum booster (yours is a single chamber booster, BTW,) a master cylinder, and a proportioning valve on the driver's side of the engine bay. ABS uses some additional hydraulics, and also has electrical sensors at each wheel to detect wheel lock-up.

alright, I'll have a look, the more we all know, the better.

Acutally, ABS is supposed to keep yout wheels from locking up when you "skid" or summat, well, since it's winter, and there's ice... my wheels do lock up becuase when I step on the brakes while going around 20, 30 (doin donuts, bad me) I can feel the jeep sliding forwards or backwards or whatever like i was on a set of ski's but i may be wrong... would that be a good indictator or not?

if your wheels DO lock up and stay locked with your foot planted firmly on the brakes, then you do NOT have ABS ( or its malfunctioning)

if you felt a vibration and pulsating in the brake pedal while jammingon the brakes then you DO have ABS

Abs

Isn't there a ABS valve along w/the proportioning valve at the master cylinder.

CaptTrev said:
if your wheels DO lock up and stay locked with your foot planted firmly on the brakes, then you do NOT have ABS ( or its malfunctioning)

if you felt a vibration and pulsating in the brake pedal while jammingon the brakes then you DO have ABS

I've never felt anything of that sort.. mabye it's broken.. ;) I suppose i'll crawl underneath and have a look if i dont freeze my ass off (it's 20 degrees :-/)

Eagle said:
I believe all Country models came with auto. The Country basically replaced the Wagoneer in the lineup, and was a fairly luxery model. After it was discontinued, the closest thing to it was probably the Classic.

The only suggestion I can offer is to ask if you have ABS. If you do, you may choose to keep it for street duty, but many people don't like it for off-road duty.

Check out the North Atlantic Chapter forum. You're in our territory, so we'll hope to see you at a trail ride or meet & greet.

:wow:

Actually, the Country trimline replaced the top of the line Limited trimline in 1993. At least in 1993, 5 speeds were available with the Country line, though difficult to find, as much as a 93 5 speed ZJ is. The Briarwood replaced the Wagoneer Limited in 1991 and 1992 and then never saw the light of day again.
The plain XJ Wagoneer was not seen past 1990(and I think dropped for 1988). I have a 1987 Wagoneer. Two tone maroon/silver.
I've seen two country edition 5 speeds, both 93s.
2 door Country models I've only seen in 93/94 XJs.
A 1996 Classic model, had body color painted fender flares/side molding with grizzly wheels, it was more akin exterior wise to the Limited of yesteryear(in the sense of the everything color painted.
Country, which replaced the Limited line in 1993, had two tone coloring w/ body color and metallic grey or champagne painted bumpers/fender flares. At least in the 96 and elder models.
With the Gen2 XJs the Limited trimline was brought back with chrome front grilles.

Teron

Hiaboo said:
Acutally, ABS is supposed to keep yout wheels from locking up when you "skid" or summat, well, since it's winter, and there's ice... my wheels do lock up becuase when I step on the brakes while going around 20, 30 (doin donuts, bad me) I can feel the jeep sliding forwards or backwards or whatever like i was on a set of ski's but i may be wrong... would that be a good indictator or not?

The fact that ABS helps avoid lockup skids in slippery conditions is why I said if you have it you may prefer to keep it for street. The fact that some people don't like it for off-road doesn't mean that you can't take an ABS-equipped XJ off-road, especially if it's also a daily driver and you just do light to moderate wheeling.

Back