• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Electrac.....

MC-92

NAXJA Forum User
So has anybody tried the Detroit Elec-Trac in the front with solid axleshafts ????? If so, how did the L/S feel ????

Theoretically, it should feel the same as my 94 non-disco front axle with a TrueTrac.

Which is, nearly invisible.

sweet... I just got some 44's for both ends... was wondering about it...I know im gonna use the e/trac in the rear... Cant decide on that or arb in the front.... Any thoughts...???? This is a D/D.....

why would you use an electrac in the rear and not the front? If you're going to spend the money on a compressor for the front, then you might as well get an ARB for the rear as well.

I know alot of people have had troubles with the d44 model of the electrac. Something about the shift fork. I think they have even stopped making them for awhile. someone else probelably could tell you more or search :D

Uh, yeah....

Why WOULD you run an ARB in one end and an ElecTrac in the other? Personally, I'd pick one or the other and run both ends the same. Personally, I'd rather do an ElecTrac because I like the l/s when it's not engaged, and I carry enough stuff to fix wiring on the trail.

I really hate to bad mouth a product but one of my buddies picked thes up for his 44's in his cj and has had no end of problems. Could not keep them lock even mechanically by passed, ended up pulling them and spooling the rear and arb in the front.

My thinkin was the L/S in the rear for D/D.... Im gonna have some type of air source, either compressor or on board.... Thanks for the 411 on the probs.. Ill prob. just do ARB's in both now... I have a pretty cool idea of how I want to actuate them.. Ya know the "NOS" buttons that ricers are putting on their steering wheels to activate the NOS... Got me to thinking.... I could do that with some lockers and wouldn't ever have to remove my hands from the wheel... Any thoughts ?

I'm running one in the rear of my XJ right now and I kind of regret buying it. Mine locks and unlocks the way its supposed to, but I don't like the LS very much. If I'm going around a fairly tight turn, say in a parking lot, the LS locks up like a spool, which I'm assuming its supposed to. It takes a while for it to unlock so I end up dragging the inside tire around even when I'm off the gas. If I knew it would be like this I would've saved some money and gotten a regular detroit. Just my .02.

MIke

Thanks MDMIKE... thats exactly the kinda response I was looking for... Appreciate it...

MDMIKE said:
If I'm going around a fairly tight turn, say in a parking lot, the LS locks up like a spool, which I'm assuming its supposed to.

Thats NOT how LS work. Infact, it's kinda the opposite of how it should work. Get your money back.

I'd go with the company with a great reputation and even better customer service. ARB has been around for quite awhile and has definately proven itself.

Of course some will complain about air lines, leaks, selonoids, whatnot. But then there isn't a selectable locker out there that is problem free. Go ARB front and rear.

I've been running an electrac HARD for about a year.....

I have broken FIVE axle shafts on the electrac, and the things runs FLAWLESSLY.....

I am quite impressed with this locker.

Beezil said:

I have broken FIVE axle shafts on the electrac, and the things runs FLAWLESSLY.....

How do you like the limited slip part? Its more than just a locker:)

AARON

My electrac is either "on" or "off"....

meaning, i either want "full traction" or no "front steer"....

I really couldn't care less about the limited slip part....

most of the problems with the electrac can be associated to installation error. either that or your buddy got one of the early releases that were not adjustable.

The electrac is a good unit. it ideal for places that see a lot of ice, snow, rain.
in places where things stay a little drier, your better off with an arb or ox or something.

They have been getting a bad rap. I spoke with a few of the reps from both Tractech, and Randy's. Randy's had issues for a while but now they are selling them again. TT pointed the finger at the installers not adjusting the units correctly.
I do know that it can be tough to properly adjust them.

Beezil said:

You run d60's though right? I don't think anyone's had a proiblem witht hd60 model, just the 44s. :dunno:

Quick question - as far as the locker is concerned - it doesn't matter if you have a high or low pinion does it? just for the gears?

there are two actually 4 different part #'s for the d44 electrac.
2 are 3.73 and down while the other 2 are 3.92 and up.
of those one is for the rear axle and one is for the front axle.
so high pinion/ low pinion doesn't matter. just front axle or rear axle.

Beezil said:
the electrac lives in my front 44....running 5.38's

Thats good to know. Now I wonder if most of the problems people have had with the 44's is with the rear not the front?

Beez how do you protect the shift thing? Any problems smackin it?

Back