• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Hop?

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
Stupid question possibly....but u dont know till u ask right? On a recent snow run I noticed that when Id spin in the deep stuff my front axle seemed to "hop" and u could hear a wrap, wrap, wrap, from underneath like possibly a u-joint? Is there a way to prevent this hop while on the throttler or is it just normal from the loss of traction. What about a bad u joint could that be it?

You should not get axle hop from the front axle. Axle hop is generaly related to leaf springs and spring wrap. The 4 link in the front should hold the axle secure. You may have some worn bushings that allow for some slop.

you could also have worn out shocks or to much playin the shock bushings. when i riped my driver shock off and wheeled in moab my front axel was jumping when scrambeling up ledges. im un locked and running long arms if that matters.

WIll

I just put on a 2 in. RE lift on so i have new shocks. its just that that wrapping noise bothers me but maybe it is normal when the front hops a little. I got brand new u-joints in the back si i doubt there clunking. Oh well I dunno.

i also get axle hop in the front axle when in snow. i dont think its really anything worn or broken, if you watch teh tire in the snow when it does it, it is usually just becuase the snow gives way in steps while the tire spins. When it does this, i usually just give it more gas, or turn the wheels. i think it is more of a harmonic motion than anything really bending or flexing in the front suspension. i dont worry about it.

Yea it does seem to go away with more throttle, I may go wit the longer slip yoke and see what happens. I was just wondering if this was something that happened to others too or if I had something going bad. Thaks guy for the help.

Airing down the tires will also help stop axle hop, in my experience.

Back