• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF? just stopped running

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here's the deal I checked my oil level because it had been leaking (rear main seal I think) and noticed it was very low, so I decided to just change it(had no problems at this time). This last weekend I changed it and ever since at idol the oil pressure would sit at 0 then when I gave it gas it would go up, depending on how much gas I was giving it it would increase pressure. I also noticed that when it would sit and idol for an extended period (I.E. warming it up) there would be a pronounced ticking sound I never heard before. Well anyway's I drove downtown from the base here to be shown an apartment and on my way back I lost power and the engine started to overheat...I though maybe my fan belt broke but when I popped my hood it was fine...I started it again after it cooled and tried to drive the temp was ok but I had hardly any power, like it was running on only 2-3 cylinders and well I didn't get very far before it died. I sat for awhile and tried to start it again and the starter (new starter) just strained and wouldn't turn the motor hardly....my battery power was good so yeah I think somehow I seized up my engine...I towed it to a place for them to look at it and am waiting for the dreaded call, I just wanted to see what you guys thought it might be?

anyone have any Ideas on what else this might be? I'm gonna go nuts, the shop still hasn't called and they are closed now so I assume they wont get to it unitll tomarrow....I'm so stressed out :smsoap:

ok enough about the crew chief jokes, I'm serious about this and if you don't have anything to say related to my question please refrain your self. I am looking for help not criticism. :mad:

Tough call, really, which is probably why you're not getting any specific responses.

What was the oil pressure BEFORE you changed the oil? Normal, or were there erratic readings?

What filter (brand) did you use? Are you certain it was the correct filter for your year and engine? Is it possible that the rubber gasket/ring from the old filter came off and stayed on the adapter, so the new filter wasn't sealing to metal but to an old gasket? That happened to me once in a Toyota pickup, and it held up for almost a week before it blew all the oil out of the engine as I drove away from a stop light.

What were your temperature readings when the oil pressure was acting funny? Did you check the coolant level? Sounds more like an overheating problem than a pure oil pressure problem.

Before I never noticed any problems with my oil pressure or temp., I also know the sensor is fine because I replaced it a couple months ago after braking it off changing my oil filter. The oil filter I believe is a Fram, I'm sure it's the right one, looked it up in the book guides they got there. I know for a fact the other O ring was not there because when I did take off the old filter I noticed it not there and took it off the filter adapter on the motor. coolant was fine because I toped that off at the same time I did the oil.....and again when I was on the side of the road I did check my oil and the level was fine along with the coolant.

I ment I never had any problems with oil pressure or the temp. before........I aslo didn't see any difrence in the temp. untill it decided to crap out, it acted like the belt went because everything stoped working. (power steering/brakes)

OIL Press.

I could list a 1,000 "it could be"here but here are a few that come to mind;
Last time timing was checked .
The garage you took it to are they reputiable or they just out for the $$$.
Had a similar situation on another vehicle I owned turned out to be a broken cam.
I'm not tryin to be a SA here,but like I said,there could be a 1,000 things some cheap n some not cheap.
If ya find out let us know,if you think your gettin jerked around by the garage,take it to another,or at least to some onre you trust.

the guys I took it too are good, I'm still waiting the call on what they found they couldn't get to it yesterday because of other cars that were in before. Yes, I sure will let you guys know what the deal is when I find out.

Peace out,
Nick

well the verdict is my motor was seized, the shop wanted to charge me $2900 to put a rebuilt motor in......well I decided to take my $2900, rebuild, and stroke, 4.7L, my engine. The only thing I don't like about doing this is not having a warranty to cover me in case I did something wrong. So, I also might buy a long block 4.7L stroked motor with a warranty....it just all depends how much money I have when I get back from my deployment.

Sorry to hear the sad news.

But engines don't sieze up for no reason. If the oil pressure was going bonkers it was probably due to lack of lubrication, but WHY did the oil pressure suddenly go bonkers? Did the shop have any clues as to what went wrong? The siezed engine was the result, not the cause.

yeah, I'm not exactly sure of the cause.....I have a good guess that it was the oil pump considering there was plenty of oil in the engine when I checked it. Unless there are other ways you can get "0" oil pressure.....the sensor was fine (brand new, not leaking anywhere), plug was in and torqued, oil filter was new and the adapter wasn't leaking anywhere....the only oil leak I have is from the rear main and the normal engine blow by into my filter.

Back