• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31X10.5 MTR's and gears

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
currently i run a 31" tires with stock gears on my 98' XJ. i want to later move to 32" tires with 4.11 gears. can i swap the gears now with the 31" tires, or is that going to make my 4.0 inline 6 rev to high on the freeway?

brandon

shimmy said:
currently i run a 31" tires with stock gears on my 98' XJ. i want to later move to 32" tires with 4.11 gears. can i swap the gears now with the 31" tires, or is that going to make my 4.0 inline 6 rev to high on the freeway?

brandon

I have 31"s and 4.10 gears and it is fine on the highway. I regularly travel between 75-80 mph on the highway and although you do notice the higher revs, it isn't doing any harm. In fact, I like having the power up there now, sure makes it easier to pass.
You may want to reconsider your gearing if you are going to 32" tires though. Most here would recommend 4.56's with that size tire or larger.

shimmy said:

brandon

I run 32" MT/R's with 4.56's and they make for a great daily driver. I had originally intalled 4.10's with the 32's and swapped them out - my gas mileage improved dramatically with the 4.56's. BTW, auto trans w/4.0L. I tach around 3,000 rpm's at 80 mph on the highway, which is Ok for me. It revs very consistently with many of the rpm calc charts that are out there, so you might want to check them to see what you're comfortable with.

shimmy said:

brandon

If you got the auto, drop in 4.56 now without giving it a second thought... if you got a stickshift, think couple minutes about doing it and then do it. I got 4.11's with 31's and wouldn't mind 4.56 :D

Back