• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shafts OK between antilock / non anti?

racer122

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to pick up some 297x axle shafts tonight from a guy, and I had read somewhere that I had to be concerned about whether they come from an antilock-equipped vehicle.

Why is that, and what do I need to look for to be sure that I'm getting ones that work?

(I already know how to measure to be sure that I'm getting the 297x joint.)

A friend of mine with a 92 XJ w/ ABS needed a replacement outer shaft. He got the shaft and tone ring separately. Freeze the shaft, put the tone ring in a warm oven, assemble.

The tone ring is the only thing you need to worry about, and you can get that separately. Nor do you need a press to get it on.

ChiXJeff said:
A friend of mine with a 92 XJ w/ ABS needed a replacement outer shaft. He got the shaft and tone ring separately. Freeze the shaft, put the tone ring in a warm oven, assemble.

The tone ring is the only thing you need to worry about, and you can get that separately. Nor do you need a press to get it on.

Ok then, in my case I have a non-ABS vehicle. If the shaft comes with a tone ring on it I can get it back off? Cool. That was my worry, since I'm getting the inner axle shafts, ujoints, outer stub shafts, and unit-bearing hubs from a 98 XJ.

Back