• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the best all around XJ?

MG_43

NAXJA Forum User
My first post, I have FSjeeps, but I want an XJ for my daily driver and some light wheelin. I've heard the 93 and 94 are best according to JP mag, but would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

this thread will be good, i like 97+ for more rounder front and rear and the inside changes. IMHO

97+ are nice looking, more difficult to lift and cost more than the later years.

for the best bang for your buck, the 91 to 94's can be had real cheap, this is the beggining of the HO 4.0 and the simple OBD1.

Ditto 4 wanker!

the 91 - 94 are the best IMHO. In 95 the tcase had some changes that make lifting a challange. Read SYE here.

Fore Wheeler said:
97+ are nice looking, more difficult to lift and cost more than the later years.

for the best bang for your buck, the 91 to 94's can be had real cheap, this is the beggining of the HO 4.0 and the simple OBD1.

Well, if you figure that as you go high, sooner or later you will need SYE so bite the bullet early and do it first (ahead of most other mods), then 97 through 99 (or is it 00??) is best. The upper border is set by the LP D30 being introduced.

Also if you go with the newer XJ's and get one with no ABS, you should get the 8.25 rear end (IIRC lack of ABS does not guarantee presence of 8.25, but it increases the chances that it has one) with 29 spline axles.

And then it all depends also on what precisely you're looking for. For example if stick shift, I believe in 00 they swapped in a newer tranny which gives you a slightly better 1st gear and so on.....

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the 97+ (or is it 96+?) has the steel hatch versus fiberglass, which is a benefit.

I suggest not getting a 96!! It was the experimental year for pretty much everything on the interior. All of the wiring diagrams changed that year. I so miss my 94. It had so much more power and was the easiest thing to work on.

The 96 also had a fiberglass hatch, but that only matters if you get rear-ended right?

Jeremyvnc said:
The 96 also had a fiberglass hatch, but that only matters if you get rear-ended right?

Actually no... every so often people get their rear lock (the whole thing) rip out from the hatch, and they finish their wheeling trip closing the jeep with...... duct tape.

Kejtar said:
Actually no... every so often people get their rear lock (the whole thing) rip out from the hatch, and they finish their wheeling trip closing the jeep with...... duct tape.

Ah the wonders of duct tape. So what, I'm sorry for those unfortunate few.

For daily driver and light trail use, a mega lift isn't needed. There is no "best" year. Despite outward appearance, there were mechanical and/or electrical changes almost every model year. In general, any XJ 1987 or newer with the 4.0L engine should do the job for you. For the pusposes you describe, either a 2" budget boost with 30x9.50 tires or a 3" lift with 31x10.50s should work admirably and still be streetable.

Jeremyvnc said:
I suggest not getting a 96!! It was the experimental year for pretty much everything on the interior. All of the wiring diagrams changed that year. I so miss my 94. It had so much more power and was the easiest thing to work on.
Really? I've got a 96. I've driven it for 100,000 miles. (154,000 on the odometer) No problems yet. I've known several other owners of 96 models with similar experiences. 96's come with some features that earlier XJs do not: ie. dual diaphram brake booster, x297 front axle shafts, HO engine, air bag. I only wish it had come with 29 spline axle shafts in the 8.25 rear end.

If you find a good clean 96, buy it.

I think the 91 2 door Sport. In that Oxblood Maroon, with a green hatch from another XJ....... Oh, wait......That's mine ;)

I say go with an original, 1984. When I got my '99 (in '02), a woman was trading in her '84 with 400+ thousand miles on it. She said she really never had any problems that cost her an arm and a leg. '89s have a D44. I say go with a new one though, for rust won't be an issue for a few years.

Eagle said:
For daily driver and light trail use, a mega lift isn't needed. There is no "best" year. Despite outward appearance, there were mechanical and/or electrical changes almost every model year. In general, any XJ 1987 or newer with the 4.0L engine should do the job for you. For the pusposes you describe, either a 2" budget boost with 30x9.50 tires or a 3" lift with 31x10.50s should work admirably and still be streetable.
:worship:

evilpresence said:
... '89s have a D44...

Correction -- some '87s have a D44. Despite repeated rumors that some '88s and '89 got out of the factory with D44 rear axles, the ONLY D44s I have ever seen in XJs (other than those swapped in) were in '87s.

Eagle said:
"... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
— Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering

What is up with this crap?

Is NAXJA's "nazi-war-hero-propaganda" filter out of order?

MaXJohnson said:
What is up with this crap?

Is NAXJA's "nazi-war-hero-propaganda" filter out of order?

It's not about Nazi war heroes, it's about what's happening here, today.

Eagle said:
It's not about Nazi war heroes, it's about what's happening here, today.

Oh Eagle..... if you want we can discuss this, but you probably best start a whole new thread about this on non-tech :D but I think you got it somewhat wrong and comparison can't be made. The quote I believe is somewhat out of context and without a time reference as to when that speech was made/delivered....

Back