• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bored Throttle Body On a 01

XJourney

NAXJA Forum User
I am think of boring out my throttle body to 60mm on my 01, but I am not sure about if there are any problems with OBDII computer. I can't imagine there being one from such a small increase. If any one has first hand experience on this it would be great.

Also on a side note do you guys think that I could make a throttle body spacer out of a Poly cutting board. I mean I put pans out of the oven 450F on the board and it seems to have no effect. Not sure on intake temp but it can't be much hotter then 210F. Plus I don't want to spend $60 on something that may not work.

Oh by the way I searched

TIA

You'll have no problem boring out your TB to 60mm. Your computer will adapt to the change. Your '01 4.0 has the new redesigned intake manifold with smoother curved runners and bigger plenum so it's questionable whether the TB spacer will make any difference in your case.
If you have the K&N FIPK or are planning to buy one, there isn't enough clearance under the hood to add the spacer anyway.

I bored out the TB on my '01. The computer adjusted fine, and it works great.
You won't see much difference, if any, with the spacer. I ditched mine after boring the TB.

Thanks on the info for boring the throttle body.

As for the spacer I realize that there may be no improvement on hp/torque but i may still try it. Have to keep busy till my truck sells so I can get my lift and tires.

I did a little experienment after work today.
Objective: to find out the hottest temp for the intake.
I drove home a 15 min. trip with engine at full temp. I placed a digital thermometer on the intake and insulated the tops side with foil and a leather glove. Shut the hood and blocked the radiator. Ran the engine at RPM @2500 till motor reached over 210. intake temp was only 155F. shut off motor let sit for 15 minutes intake reached a max of 190F.

Conclusion: No foreseen problem with poly board spacer overheating.

Dr. Dino. By the way I am planning on a Homebrew FIPK inspired by yours.
I just want to use a paper filter cone. Have to find one yet. any suggestions would be appricated

Just use any K&N or similar cone filter. There's plenty around in the speed shops (especially those selling parts for "ricers") and they're pretty cheap too.

I was wanting to stay away from cotton(K&N) filters. I have heard of them letting too much dirt by. Not sure how true. I would like to use a paper filter just have to find enough time to go to Schucks and go through their inventory.

PNW01XJ said:
I did a little experienment after work today.
Objective: to find out the hottest temp for the intake.
I drove home a 15 min. trip with engine at full temp. I placed a digital thermometer on the intake and insulated the tops side with foil and a leather glove. Shut the hood and blocked the radiator. Ran the engine at RPM @2500 till motor reached over 210. intake temp was only 155F. shut off motor let sit for 15 minutes intake reached a max of 190F.

Conclusion: No foreseen problem with poly board spacer overheating.

I've measured intake temps at 175°F in the summer, after a moderate warm-up. although I didn't measure it after shut-down, I imagine this would heat soak to well above the 190°F reading. These temps are still probably not a problem for your poly, just thought you might like to know.

Back