• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buggy Springs

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
A while back there was a discussion on what buggy springs are, here is the real and original definition
1256559-P2030033.jpg

and in the rear
1256562-P2030034.jpg

also known as full-eliptical

do they have some kind of bushing holding those springs together? if they're solid they would have no way to flex and you might as well weld the axle straight to the buggy, kinda like using normal (1/2) leafs with no shackle.

there are also, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 eliptical

mad maXJ said:
also known as full-eliptical

do they have some kind of bushing holding those springs together? if they're solid they would have no way to flex and you might as well weld the axle straight to the buggy, kinda like using normal (1/2) leafs with no shackle.

there are also, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 eliptical

They have pins on the ends so they can move, Took pictures of them out at Calico today, figured they would get a good debate going again ;)

There once was a Flattie that had something similar. It was entered into the TTC 3 or 4 years back but didn't get the votes. I think it had single leaf packs at each end that were inverted over the axles and mounted to seperate crossmembers on the frame. Anybody remember it, it was a weird looking yellow Flattie.

That pic of the buggie is a full elliptical spring 4/4. A 3/4 elliptical would have 3 points (front spring eye, shackle, frame mount) most of us are running 1/2 elliptical (standard leaf spring) and a 1/4 elliptical would be single front & axle attachment points.

I saw the flattie-looking rig in TTC, it was handbuilt and used a standard leafspring mounted sideways, talk about body roll!

-jb

vintagespeed said:
I saw the flattie-looking rig in TTC, it was handbuilt and used a standard leafspring mounted sideways, talk about body roll!

-jb

Yeah, very spooky looking although an interesting approach.

mad maXJ said:
i can't see it real well, but it looks like the second picture is actually a 3/4 elip. setup, I see a real small shackle in there too

Nope it was two full leafs, the upper rear end was bent down that way for clearance I guess

Back