• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranfer Case Swap

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I think I have either the NP-231/242 in my '91 XJ, Auto.
This is my T-Case Shifter
2xFT
4xPT
4xFT
N
4Low

I've been having problems with the chain slipping and a fair amount of noise coming from the T-case.

I have the oportunity to scoop up a FREE T-case from an '86 XJ Wagoneer (not FullSize), Will this T-Case swap with mine? I do know that it does have the same shifter as mine. But would it be the same NP-231/242? or would it be one of the following:

NP-207
NP-228/229
NV/NP-249

you have a NP242 right now. I believe that you will be getting a NP207, or a early NP242. But you should check the tag on the one your getting. Round on the back side of the case. Juice

If it has that pattern in an 86 then it is the 228. There might have been a very few with the 229 as well... only diff is the 229 has the vi$cou$ coupler and the 228 has an open center diff.
Mike B.

1986xj said:
If it has that pattern in an 86 then it is the 228. There might have been a very few with the 229 as well... only diff is the 229 has the vi$cou$ coupler and the 228 has an open center diff.
Mike B.

You gotta forgive my ignorance, but "only diff is the 229 has the vi$cou$ coupler and the 228 has an open center diff." will this make my swap impossible? Should I worry about whether it 229 or 228? Or should I even bother with taking this T-Case from the Waggy?

XJ91 said:
Alright.....ThanX I get the message. :D

I won't waste my time pulling it, even though it's free.

Pull it and check it out... then tell us which it really is and the spline count, I'd think you could make it work if the spline count is the same. I'm guessing the rear DS should work.... It's the front that might be different and you might just need to swap on the correct yoke there if it has the cv style yoke now to make your existing DS work. Of course this is all just guessing, but once you have it there to compare with what you already have you'll be better able to tell.
Oh yeah 228 vs 229, in 4wd FT the 228 has a open gear diff which allows for differences in wheel speed front to rear so it will work while making turns on dry pavement without grenading itself, the 229 does this by using what is called a viscous coupler which is sorta like a little torque converter. If the VC goes bad it is really expensive to replace.
Oh one other thing since I am not super familiar with your years setup.... is the front a non disconect axle? The 228/229 wont work with a disco axle I'm told because it's possible for the center diff to just let the jeep roll away if the front axle is in the dissconected mode.
Mike B.

I'd bet $$$$

The spline count would be 21 and the rear shaft on the 228/229 would be waaaay longer than your current one. Also someone has said that the 228 has a rear output yoke and not a slip yoke.

1986xj said:
Pull it and check it out... then tell us which it really is and the spline count, I'd think you could make it work if the spline count is the same. I'm guessing the rear DS should work.... It's the front that might be different and you might just need to swap on the correct yoke there if it has the cv style yoke now to make your existing DS work. Of course this is all just guessing, but once you have it there to compare with what you already have you'll be better able to tell.
Oh yeah 228 vs 229, in 4wd FT the 228 has a open gear diff which allows for differences in wheel speed front to rear so it will work while making turns on dry pavement without grenading itself, the 229 does this by using what is called a viscous coupler which is sorta like a little torque converter. If the VC goes bad it is really expensive to replace.
Oh one other thing since I am not super familiar with your years setup.... is the front a non disconect axle? The 228/229 wont work with a disco axle I'm told because it's possible for the center diff to just let the jeep roll away if the front axle is in the dissconected mode.
Mike B.

If I do get this, I'm told the drive shafts are gone already. I have D30 up front. '91 Laredo stock as they come. Could not tell ya if it is non disconnect or disco axle?

XJ91 said:
I think I have either the NP-231/242 in my '91 XJ, Auto.
This is my T-Case Shifter
2xFT
4xPT
4xFT
N
4Low

I've been having problems with the chain slipping and a fair amount of noise coming from the T-case.

I have the oportunity to scoop up a FREE T-case from an '86 XJ Wagoneer (not FullSize), Will this T-Case swap with mine? I do know that it does have the same shifter as mine. But would it be the same NP-231/242? or would it be one of the following:

NP-207
NP-228/229
NV/NP-249

You have the np-242 as people have already said. This is a awesome t-case for more on road driving then off. I got a 6 cylinder 98' grand cherokee so I could get the 242 t-case after my 95' grand cherokee 8 cylinder 249 full time all the time case got totalled. I previously had a 242 t-case in my 89' xj and loved all the modes it has. I moved from Chicago to northern California and the 242 works especially good with bad whether such as icy roads, snow, rain, etc. and can be run in full-time mode all the time if you want. The 231 command trac has a 4 hi too, but it isn't meant to be run that on pavement for any length of time or breakage could occur. I'd work on fixing the 242 case if I were you, the 84' to 86' xj's aren't good donor vehicles and have very questionable drivetrain parts.

My bad.... :doh: The guy told me today that the Waggy is a '88. But he doesn't know what model TC is underneath.

Do the year make a diff with what's under there?

Grab the T-Case and anything else you can get!

Grab the T-Case, it is either a 231 or a 242. Maybe you will get lucky and find a Dana 44 in the back too.

Ghost said:
The spline count would be 21 and the rear shaft on the 228/229 would be waaaay longer than your current one. Also someone has said that the 228 has a rear output yoke and not a slip yoke.
actually, the 229/229 are 23 spline units and they will bolt up to a 23 spline aw4.

the problem is the vacuum garbage + driveshaft lengths and making it fit under the XJ's floor with the aw4 (this case is HUGE, the old a904 autos were very short, unlike the aw4)

XJ91 said:
My bad.... :doh: The guy told me today that the Waggy is a '88. But he doesn't know what model TC is underneath.

Do the year make a diff with what's under there?
most likely, you're going to run into a spline count difference, the 88 will be 21, there's a SLIM chance that the 91 is 21 spline, but most likely it's 23 spline.

you can swap the input gears from the two cases, but to remove the input gear requires complete disassembly of the case and you also need to use a #1 easy out to remove the roll pin that holds the low range shift fork in place. there is no way around that, and it is NOT a fun job. there is a small access hole covered by a little rubber plug so you can get the easy out in there to do the job.

if you break the easy out off inside the pin, you're fawked.

MoFo said:
Grab the T-Case, it is either a 231 or a 242. Maybe you will get lucky and find a Dana 44 in the back too.

The guy who's giving me a chance to wrench at this XJ Waggy has taken both front and rear axles for his '86 XJ :( , drive shafts are gone also.

Back