• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Fog Lights

Matt99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to hook up some stock fog lights that I got off of another XJ. I hooked them up like I normally hook up lights, but they didn't work. There are 2 wires coming out of the back of them like a normal light, but when I hook one to the positive and one to the negative of the battery they do not turn on. I can't think of any other way to hook them up.

Perhaps the bulb is burned out. Try putting an ohmmeter on the ends of the two wires. If the bulb is good there should be resistance (I don't know how much). If it's an open circuit (infinite resistance, or no reading), the filament is bad or these's something FUBAR isnide the light unit.

I did that on both lights. Both of them are good. They both worked when i took them off of the other XJ too.

I thought maybe the lights grounded themselves out like some other lights do but, thats not it either.

I am at a loss. I hooked up a set of rock lights and they work perfect but these fogs don't work at all. I hooked them straight to the battery and everything.

I don't know what else to check.

The need 2 things. 12volts positive and a ground. You need to confirm that you are getting 12v at the wires you are connecting them to. If yes then you need to make sure you are getting a good ground to bare metal, no rust or paint.

90NHXJ said:
The need 2 things. 12volts positive and a ground. You need to confirm that you are getting 12v at the wires you are connecting them to. If yes then you need to make sure you are getting a good ground to bare metal, no rust or paint.

I am hooking it straight to the battery to test it so I know I am getting both.

Maybe someone with stock fog lights will unplug their lights and check the plug with a multimeter to see where power is coming from.

Matt99XJ said:
I am hooking it straight to the battery to test it so I know I am getting both.

Maybe someone with stock fog lights will unplug their lights and check the plug with a multimeter to see where power is coming from.

Matt- its possible those stock lights might have been looped- I`ll have to check mine to be sure, but they should ground at the base of the light on the bumper(halgon bulbs ground to the inside of the socket, the socket grounds to the case and hold down bolt)- its possible that the other wire runs to the next light in line-- think of turn signal/ running lamps and how they run-- their looped- one wire in, one out. In your case, the second wire may just be the hot wire for the second light.

quick test-- put the base of the light(through bolt and jam nut for bumper) on the negitive post, and run one wire to the positive an see...

Back