• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine teardown questions

SimpleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Basically I have a few questions about taking the motor appart.

1. Do you have to remove the rocker arms and push rods to get the head off the block?

2. Do you have to remove the injectors and fuel rail to remove the intake?

My FSM says you must do both of these when taking the head off. I don't know about the rocker arms and pushrods, but it seems to me I can at least leave the injectors in the intake.... am I wrong?

Thanks for any advice

SimpleXJ

What motor ,please.
V-6,I-4,I-6 ?
Wayne
PS- on the 4.0 I see no reason to remove the injectors from the mnifold,just make sure the fuel and electrical connections are loose so you can swing the manifolds out of the way.

SimpleXJ said:
Hi all,

Basically I have a few questions about taking the motor appart.

1. Do you have to remove the rocker arms and push rods to get the head off the block?

2. Do you have to remove the injectors and fuel rail to remove the intake?

My FSM says you must do both of these when taking the head off. I don't know about the rocker arms and pushrods, but it seems to me I can at least leave the injectors in the intake.... am I wrong?

Thanks for any advice

SimpleXJ
1. go ahead and take the rockers off......they need to come off to put the head back on once they are off the pushrods will come right out.
2. i haven`t removed a fuel rail on a 4.0 (yet) but on others it is simple.....unbolt the rail holddown and simply pull up......so with that i would definatly remove it.(you should at least clean the intake while it is off and damade to the injectors could result if they are left in)

when (if) you remove the rail/injectors, be sure to watch for the rubber seat or washer doesn`t come off on the end in the fuel rail...

On my 89 4.0l longblock swap I left the rail on my manifold, and just swung/hung it out of the way. I had to undo the fuel lines and refit with an install kit after.

OTOH I think when I have my next one apart, I'll pull the intake & fuel system for a thorough cleaning & o-ring rehab.

Sorry I forgot to mention this is the 4.0 renix style MPI. So the rockers and pushrods have to come off but the injectors can stay? I'm just doing a headgasket job on an old motor and I don't wanna put too much time into it.

Thanks

SimpleXJ

On my ol inline 4.9(EFI) ford when I did the head gasket I removed rockers pushrods and the fuel rail/injectors. I replaced the orings, plus it made it easier with it out of the way.

Back