• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 help needed, do I need the kickdown cable if I'm shifting electronically?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swappin an AW4 into my MJ, and I'm not going to run a tranny computer, I'm going to wire it so all the shifting is manual.

So do I need the kickdown cable? I'm new to the whole auto tranny thing, and I'm not exactly sure what the kickdown cable does...? I know it downshifts when heavy throttle is applied, but if I'm shifting manually, is it necessary? So what is going on in there (in the tranny) when the kickdown cable is moving?

this thread over on PBB was about the 904, no mention of the AW4, but made it sound like it's a must: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171933
something about hydraulic pressure and adjusting the bands...?

thanks
brett

I would keep it. It helps regulate the amount of hydraulic pressure running throughout the tranny, lack of it could cause the thing to slip, that's NOT good.

I think it controls how fast the shifting is happening, i.e. it will shift kinda slowly when you're having full throttle, and more rapid when using little throttle. Sounds weird maybe, but take it for a ride, it makes perfect sense.

AFAIK, the kickdown cable really has more to do with line pressure than it does downshifting, so it is a necessary item to have hooked up and adjusted properly

It's not a "kick down cable" its a line pressure modulator. Has to do with the shift being "soft" or "stiff", nothing to do with down shifting points, the TPS has a lot to do with that though.

mad maXJ said:
thanks for the info guys! any pictures of how it attaches on a Renix motor?
Here ya go:

kickdown.jpg

Back