• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 4.0 manual. Gear swap 3.07 to 3.55

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
I just got a 93XJ. I plan on throwing on a budget moost and 31's that I have left over from my '99. I also have my '99's 3.55 geared 8¼ axle. I was wondering how much of a gain with the maual I would recieve by going to a junk yard and picking up a dana 30 axle geared at 3.55 and swapping that in.

other reason wouls be to kep the 3.07 axle's shafts and hubs. and I would trash the housing.
Would it be worth it to swap in another axle and have spare shafts and hubs and be running 3.55 gears?

It would definitely help. 3.55 and 31's mathmatically would put you dead even as if you were stock with OEM tires. I know the extra weight and air resistance, but they are only 31's and a budget boost.

Also do not just throw away the D30, you should be able to get at least $150-200 for it. For I know it's a Non-disco. I would just try to find another housing that's 3.55. Maybe find a guy here at NAXJA who is gearing from 3.55 and just swap with them. Unless your planning an gearing to at least 4.10 or lower I wouldn't waste money on new gears and such.

I ran 31x10.50s on 3.07s for a couple of months with a 5spd. It sucked. Bad.

I geared up to 4.10s and added limited slips. You've hit on just about the cheapest way to get some gear back, by swapping in already built axles.

ChiXJeff said:
I ran 31x10.50s on 3.07s for a couple of months with a 5spd. It sucked. Bad.

I geared up to 4.10s and added limited slips. You've hit on just about the cheapest way to get some gear back, by swapping in already built axles.

Kind of a hijack :D Jeff, what do you have now? I though I saw something bigger then 31's under you XJ, and if so, which gears you got now and how do you like them with the bigger tires?

Kejtar said:
Kind of a hijack :D Jeff, what do you have now? I though I saw something bigger then 31's under you XJ, and if so, which gears you got now and how do you like them with the bigger tires?

<grin> I put 33x12.50s on in September, with 4.10 gears. 4.10s with 33s are a little low. Good on the highway, not so good offroad. </grin>

I roached a rear end r&p set (long story, it started with a bad pinion yoke.) Got 4.56s now!

ChiXJeff

Kejtar said:
How do you like the 4.56?? Would you rather have went with 4.88's or maybe 4:1 in the tcase?

Kind of hard to put 4.88s in a Chrysler 8.25......the 4.56s are treating me pretty well.

I suspect that a 4:1 in the tcase would be nice. I'm thinking that the next driveline mods are going to be a D44 rear, a flipped D300 and a Klune crawler box. Lots of gear choices, then.

ChiXJeff

Back on Topic....

Currently running 3.55's in the wifey's XJ with 31's. It is very driveable, although 3.73's would be perfect - that's what I am going to run in my MJ ;)

cool guys thanks for (some of) the replys.
I found out I can pick up a '95 D30 axle for $175. My price range was 150-200.
I may be looking into giving my axle housing away to a buddy who may have a bent housing and is regearing soon. unless I can sell it. :farmer:

Don't wast your time w/ the 4:55's your 5 gear is way too tall. Go 4:11's or better. I'm running 32 11.5's w/ 4:11's & it works pretty good. I would like a little more pull though, but not @ the price of a tiny Dana 30 pinion. I run @ 2100 Rpm @ 65Mph. I orignally changed to 3:73's, & relized how much 5th gear I had :doh: . luckily, I had only had the rear changed.

$.02 deposited

Rob

talked to buddy and set a price for my housing for $75. better than ditching it!
looks like I'll have a 93 daily driver fixed for under $1000 :bunny:

bunny.gif
'99 XJ hybrid 4.5" lift / 93XJ DD in progress / '85 XJ fixer upper
`webshots` Midwest Jeepthing Club

FELIX said:
Don't wast your time w/ the 4:55's your 5 gear is way too tall. Go 4:11's or better. I'm running 32 11.5's w/ 4:11's & it works pretty good. I would like a little more pull though, but not @ the price of a tiny Dana 30 pinion. I run @ 2100 Rpm @ 65Mph. I orignally changed to 3:73's, & relized how much 5th gear I had :doh: . luckily, I had only had the rear changed.

$.02 deposited

Rob

I assume you mean 3.55s, not 4.55s.....

On a side note, it sounds like he's trying to do this on a budget, and can do 3.55s for $175. 4.10s or better will cost him at least a few hundred just in gears, and not counting setup cost either.

ChiXJeff said:
I assume you mean 3.55s, not 4.55s.....

On a side note, it sounds like he's trying to do this on a budget, and can do 3.55s for $175. 4.10s or better will cost him at least a few hundred just in gears, and not counting setup cost either.

Oops, I did mean 3:55's. He could look for a 4 banger, w/ 4:11's if going the Junk yard route. I just know for me, w/ 4:11's I could use just a little more gear, w/out it affecting daily driveability. I just figure for the trouble of changing, it wouldn't be worth it, especially, if he is paying to have them set up.

Rob

well It's done. Man what a Job 3days after work and 2 full days. I still have other issues before I get it lisenced and need to soak the rear shackle bolts a while before they will come loose to put the extended shackles on. I am running 30" retreads on black stock steelies for now. :bunny:
My buddy keeps my nondisco axle to set up with ARB and I got spare steering set up.

Back