• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone done this high steer setup?

lesslimited

Official MWC Brewmeister
NAXJA Member
I'm still trying to decide how I want to upgrade my steering. I thought I would go with the Currie setup, but after talking to them I don't think that would be the best for my approx. 7" lift. I also plan on replacing the front axle with either a D44 or another Currie 9". I found this at Sams
http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/HighSteer.htm
Seems like a decent price for knuckle, tie-rod and drag link, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but could be used on the D44 or Currie 9" ? I have the RE XD track bar, and I know I would have to re-do the axle mount to parallel the drag link, and relocate the swaybar attachment, but what other issues would I face with this setup? TIA

check out rustys off road steering conversion with hiems .I have installed the set up and let me tell ya its going to be pretty hard to even think of damaging the stock that is used, :roll: no knuckles needed

Thanks but I've heard too many horror stories about Rusty's stuff, so I'm not really considering any thing from him. I know a lot of guys are happy with his stuff, but I prefer not to take the chance.
I'd like to clarify my previous post to say that the axle upgrade is sometime in the future, so I'd be putting this on my D30 for now. Anyone at least have experience dealing with Sam's?

Don't shy away from Rusty on the crossover heim setup. I helped him create that system, and it works. It is strong, simple, and easy to change out a spare on the trail if necessary. The problem many report with Rusty's standard steering conversion is related to the draglink connecting directly to the tierod instead of running to the steering knuckle. On tall lifts this causes the tierod to rotate before the steering engages, which creates a large dead spot as well as bump steer.

I think those D30 knuckle kits are overkill on a D30. Just drill out the taper and use heims and DOM, and then raise the trackbar.

I have no experience with Sam's stuff.

Nay

I have no problem with rusty's set up .It is from the knuckle and not from the drag link.I have to say that you should log on to www.rustysoffroad.com and check out the web photos of this set up.remember the old saying that if everybody jumps off of a bridge would you jump too?

nay could you explain about raising the trackbar is it installed where the original steering stabilizer is or someother custom bracketry involve?thanx for any reply :dunno:

Sam hi-steer is really good so is his price. A ton of sprung over YJ guys use his kit.

Thanks for the input, guys, but at this point it looks like I'll be lucky to get all my other stuff done before Winterfest, so I think I'll hold off on the steering for now and check out everybody's setups at Winterfest to help me decide.

Back