• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15" or 16" wheels?

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I just put on a 3.5" RE kit with replacement rear springs, and am hoping on getting approx. 31s (or the metric equivalent). I'm looking at purchasing black rock krawler wheels (similar to the AR 767's, if not those). I'm wondering is should I stick with the 15" wheels, or go up to 16"? Anyone with some insight on this?

16":
More room for bigger calipers in the future, over the knuckle steering, or other mods
Less sidewall = better street handling but less off-road tire flex
Different sizes available than with 15" (285/75R16 = 33x11.5)
Tires and rims are slightly more expensive

15" pros:
cheaper tires and rims
more tire size and brand selection
more sidewall for off-road

I'm going with 16's personally because I want to run the 285's and found them really cheap at Wal-Mart in that size.

xj92 said:
16":
More room for bigger calipers in the future, over the knuckle steering, or other mods
Less sidewall = better street handling but less off-road tire flex
Different sizes available than with 15" (285/75R16 = 33x11.5)
Tires and rims are slightly more expensive

15" pros:
cheaper tires and rims
more tire size and brand selection
more sidewall for off-road

I'm going with 16's personally because I want to run the 285's and found them really cheap at Wal-Mart in that size.

Less sidewall deflection while aired down is good, less sidewall will help prevent your rig from shifting it's weight in offcamber situations, not to mention the increased load capacity (16's are D vs 15's C in a BFG)

I'm going with 285's too, they are the right height and width for good stuffing in the XJ wheelwell.

so pretty much, if i don't plan on messing with hi-steer/knuckles/airing down (i have yet to actually air down, since I haven't taken her anywhere that hard yet) it's sounding like 15's are the way to go...

I am installing my 3.5" RE lift tomorrow night, and I am going with 16's, I am going to be going to 285 75 16 next year, have seen several wheelers with that tire, and it seems to work real well.

I already have the 16" rims, and I want to go to the 285's also. I noticed that the Interco Trxus tires at that size are 10 ply. Does anyone know if those will be too stiff?

I have the Trxus right now and I want to go with them again.

I'm leaning towards 16's for the same reasons listed above. There is more of a variety available in 30-33 inch sizes...and I like the possibility of a brake upgrade. 285/75/16 does seem to be the end goal.
HTH,
Andy

Back