• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 43,54

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Tonight on way home the XJ went into a misfire condition after comming off the Interstate(code 43).
Made it home with Check Engine light on,no mis-fire in driveway.pulled the codes.
Now this Code 54--Dist. sync pick-up I,m guessing its inside the dist or where?
Plan to drive it to work tommorow,should I plan on walking part way?
96,4.0,HO 186K
Thanks,
Wayne

Code 54 is "No cam signal at PCM". Check the connector for corrosion, broken wires, etc. Read the "theory of operation" section below, its out of a FSM. It tells you how it works and where it is. Let me know if you need the testing procedures for this.

54.gif

SimpleXJ

Thanks,SimpleXJ.
Has been running fine ,was(I hope) a one time thing.Went to the Jeep Dlr today to price a new distributor. $155 my price,none in stock.
But it wasn,t a wasted trip is seems that the check engine light went off while it was there.
It must be true that Jeeps will repair themselves :rof:
Wayne

I have a 54 Code also. Did you have to replace the distributer or is there something other that will need replacing? You said check the connections for corrotion? Which wires?

I replaced the distributor,no problems since-over 300,000 miles now.Probably time for a new one again--

Wayne

alrighty then Looks like a new distributer will be in my future.

Back