• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird start-up question

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
I've been suspecting that my battery is dying. It seemed like everyday it took more and more for it to crank over. Then about a week ago, it was dead. Jumped it and its been fine. Well today it was dead again. Took alittle longer to jump, but did. Runs fine, turns over slow,almost not at all, but turns over now. I went to autozone, they did a test twice, and it showed fine. What else could it be? My starter is caked in oil b/c the stupid thing where all the hoses run into above it leaks(what is that by the way), and I think my oil filter adapter is too. Can it be my starter? The connections are coated in oil, will cleaning these help?

The battery is still the most likely culprit. They have a habit of dying off in cold weather. Even if the battery does hold a charge for a short time, it still needs to be replaced, if testing the alternator shows a good output. You can have the alternator tested free at most parts houses -- I'm assuming you did that at AutoZone when you checked the battery. The starter is the least likely offender, but any of the three can cause the symptoms you describe. I use a process of elimination in ascending order of ducats and hassle: battery, alternator, starter. hth

could have a bad ground or a short or something. last winter the battery on my other car kept running dead every couple days and it turned out that the guy who installed my radio did it wrong and it was constantly draining power from the battery.
maybe try a new battery?

-WATW

-'89 Cherokee
no cool mods to speak of.... yet ;)

5Cent said:
What else could it be? My starter is caked in oil b/c the stupid thing where all the hoses run into above it leaks(what is that by the way), and I think my oil filter adapter is too. Can it be my starter? The connections are coated in oil, will cleaning these help?

If I'm reading correct "the stupid thing where all the hoses run into above it leaks" sounds like the distributor, and if it's all cruded up, you might want to clean it up. :doh:

XJ91 said:
If I'm reading correct "the stupid thing where all the hoses run into above it leaks" sounds like the distributor, and if it's all cruded up, you might want to clean it up. :doh:

No, I know what a distributor is, thanks, it's grey with hoses the size of a quarter or so. It's suspended by the hoses and is right above the oil filter.

XJ91 said:

distributor...leaking?... My guess would be the evap can, which, if leaking, would be gas-not oil, or the coolant bottle- or the vac switch connect-both of which should be coolant leaks. If its oil, valve cover- oil gasket O ring to the block, oil pan...all fixable.

I`d guess battery as well.

check the amp draw on you starter i had an f250 with a starting problem so i replaced the bat then the alt so i had az check it out and the found the starter was drawing almost 250 amps should be no more than 150 at most

Well, turns out to be the starter. It finally died yesterday on me for good. Looks like an Autozone LLTW is next in line. Any comments on the AZ one? I'd love a mean green, but to poor.

I would avoid a cheap rebuilt unit from one of the discount auto part stores. In our shop we see a lot of people who buy two or three of these before they bring their new starter to us to rebuild. A lifetime warranty is great unless you spend a lifetime swapping them out looking for a decent starter. I would try to find a reputable rebuilder in your area. You will probably spend less money and end up with less aggrivation than with a discount unit. Most shops warranty thier work for one year. See if the warranty covers only the repair (i.e. brushes) or the entire starter.

cheapgenerikee said:
I would avoid a cheap rebuilt unit from one of the discount auto part stores. In our shop we see a lot of people who buy two or three of these before they bring their new starter to us to rebuild. A lifetime warranty is great unless you spend a lifetime swapping them out looking for a decent starter. I would try to find a reputable rebuilder in your area. You will probably spend less money and end up with less aggrivation than with a discount unit. Most shops warranty thier work for one year. See if the warranty covers only the repair (i.e. brushes) or the entire starter.

This is a brand new one, w/ the LLTW. What kinda shop rebuilds starters? Never heard of that.

dyin jeep

sounds to me like it is your battery. My old vehicle did the same thing, left me stranded at the gas station once. i promptly changed the battery after that incident and didnt have another problem.

Well that recently just happened to me, i have a 94 country, well... it's pretty damn cold where i am, so batteries are dying left and right. Well, i got a jump start, worked fine but a week later, it died, wouldnt take a charge, etc. Took it to the shop, and the starter was seized and the battery was plain dead. As long as starters go.. Mine cost 230 replaced (new) probably got shafted on that one but..

Well the jeeps happy. Been starting great the last couple of days. Was definitely the starter. Thanks for the info guys and gals.
adam

Back