• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's actually run 33s, 4:11s, and an auto?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I was looking at the rig requirements for this summer's Rubicon run. "Adequate gearing" is listed, and it states that 33s should have 4:11s or better. I want to know from those who've done it how this combination works with an auto. I have enough lift to clear 33s without much trimming, and I'd rather run them due to availability. If I'm going to turn my rig into a gutless pig, I'll go with 32s. I DID do a search :dunce: and saw that most recommend 4:56s or 4:88s for 33s, but I wanted to get some first-hand experience feedback from those who've run 4:11s with 33s behind an AW-4.
TIA!

BillR said:
I was looking at the rig requirements for this summer's Rubicon run. "Adequate gearing" is listed, and it states that 33s should have 4:11s or better. I want to know from those who've done it how this combination works with an auto. I have enough lift to clear 33s without much trimming, and I'd rather run them due to availability. If I'm going to turn my rig into a gutless pig, I'll go with 32s. I DID do a search :dunce: and saw that most recommend 4:56s or 4:88s for 33s, but I wanted to get some first-hand experience feedback from those who've run 4:11s with 33s behind an AW-4.
TIA!

That's how my rig is set up, and I'm very happy with it. However, I've been a pretty light-weight wheeler for now, because I still have that dang D35 in the back and I'm afraid to get too crazy.

My rig was originally geared 3.55, and with the 4.11s my speedo reads dead-on, so I guess I'm just back to stock gearing. But it's not gutless, and in 4low it gets up just fine.

i run it and well it leaves a little to be desired. im gonna be going 4.88s and 35s so with 33s i would go with 4.56 if ya wanna go over hills. the 411 just aren enouf here in co to pull the passes.

WIll

BillR said:
TIA!

As Rubicon event coordinator, I deem that combo barely adequate.

Expect harassment, however.

CRASH

I run the same set up with 33" BFG at's, 4.11 gears and the AW4. I think it's great for highway and most if not all offroading I have done. The only time I feel that a lower gear would have been nice was going down a snow covered high two weekends ago in Paragon. But other than that. It's great for me. Juice

CRASH said:

CRASH

Haha, ya. Remember Scott(ShinyXJ) on the Rubicon last year? Either the torque converter was loading up or his wheels were spinning.

Jes

Jes said:
Haha, ya. Remember Scott(ShinyXJ) on the Rubicon last year? Either the torque converter was loading up or his wheels were spinning.

Jes

How could I forget the barking of BFG M/T's on Sierra rock.

This sport is called rock CRAWLING for a reason......

CRASH

Bill's question is, will 33's over 32's really make that much of a difference with 4.10's. The only two major advantages are going from 11.5 to 12.5 wide and the greater range of thread patterns. The .5" of extra clearance is debatable.

I ran the Con last year, with my 33's and 4.10's with a MT and I think did pretty well. I gave my starter a workout, just ask GaryE if I held him back any. From what I read on the board, those Torque Converter guys are suposed to have an advantage. :rolleyes: My MT didn't stop me from having fun on the Con!

BTW, 4.88's are coming :spin1:

33's with 4.11's would be a little rough. I know it kind of all depends on how much tourqe you are putting down and how much rotational weight your tires have and how tall your 33's actually are. I have seen some 33's that acutally measure about 31 and some 33's that measure closer to what most 35's measure.

In my personal opinion 4.11's would be not quite enough. I am running 4.88's with some heavy ass TSL's. On the freeway I feel it us under-geared. On the way up to Greg's house this last weekend for some fender trimming I was climbing that hill before going down into the valley, I lost a lot of speed in 4th so i dropped it down to 3'rd and ran it at 3500 rpm's. This blew out some seals, I have oil pouring out of everywhere now. I need to tear into this weekend, good thing i'm not going to Calico :bawl: Looks like the stroker will be closer then I expected.

-Scott

My 4.11s with 32x11.5 (closer to a 31) are acceptable, but when the 33" TSLs are on.............OD is useless unless you are going downhill. As for the trail they have gotten me by and I have had a good time, but 4.88's are in my near future. Wish I had done that the first time.

sintax said:
33's with 4.11's would be a little rough. I know it kind of all depends on how much tourqe you are putting down and how much rotational weight your tires have and how tall your 33's actually are. I have seen some 33's that acutally measure about 31 and some 33's that measure closer to what most 35's measure.

In my personal opinion 4.11's would be not quite enough. I am running 4.88's with some heavy ass TSL's. On the freeway I feel it us under-geared. On the way up to Greg's house this last weekend for some fender trimming I was climbing that hill before going down into the valley, I lost a lot of speed in 4th so i dropped it down to 3'rd and ran it at 3500 rpm's. This blew out some seals, I have oil pouring out of everywhere now. I need to tear into this weekend, good thing i'm not going to Calico :bawl: Looks like the stroker will be closer then I expected.

-Scott

Damn Scott sorry to hear about the seals, you can use the cardboard I had at Greg's :thumbup: I think you should regear to 3:55's thats were its at! :doh:

Shannon

COXJ said:
i run it and well it leaves a little to be desired. im gonna be going 4.88s and 35s so with 33s i would go with 4.56 if ya wanna go over hills. the 411 just aren enouf here in co to pull the passes.

WIll
That's the concern I have too. I live at 7000 ft, so that robs the power anyway.
If you're having trouble on the passes, I'm sure I would also here in Flagstaff.
Thanks! :thumbup:

Bill - I have a set of 4.56s for a HP d30 and Truetrac I don't need any more. I'ld make you a pretty good deal. Then all you have to find is the rear gears.

basalt51 said:
Bill - I have a set of 4.56s for a HP d30 and Truetrac I don't need any more. I'ld make you a pretty good deal. Then all you have to find is the rear gears.

How good a deal, and how many miles on the gears? :yelclap:
PM'd you...

Last edited:
Jes said:

Jes

BINGO! It's also nice when you pull up to a rock and it just stops because the torque converter is slipping too much.

Do you still have those 4:56's for a HP30? If so how many miles, how much, and do you have 4:56's for a C 8.25 as well? I live in Sacramento, so maybe we can work a deal if BillR doesn't want them.

CRASH said:

CRASH

wait a damn minute, what that the flat sound of you "pulling rank"?

man, you corporate guys are all alike.

Got the same set up... with the 32x10.50 TSL radials... these 32's are almost as tall as most 33s...

Works fine for me... It will only pop out of overdrive on the larger instate hills.. but so will my car so it's not an issue.

In my case it was also intentional.. there's no way I'll ever be tempted to run larger rubber on the D30.

thecroat1 said:
Do you still have those 4:56's for a HP30? If so how many miles, how much, and do you have 4:56's for a C 8.25 as well? I live in Sacramento, so maybe we can work a deal if BillR doesn't want them.
They're all yours. I'm going to stick with my almost-new 4:10s, so PM him and make a deal.

Back