• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 front axel into '92 Brake questions?

Dave in ABQ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

My '92 XJ with 153K miles is in need of some mucho front end work. I need new u-joints (would like to upgrade to newer shaft and joints), new hub, new ball joints and new tie rods.

For the price of all these, (about $700 I do the work), I could pick up a '99 housing disc to disc for same $700 would try to get it cheaper.

Question to any who have done this. Do the brake lines from the older pre-'96 XJs fit onto the newer brake calipers? I've read that the MC was changed in '95 and again in '97. Not sure if Cryco changed the fittings/flarings. Any other issues?

Thanks

sounds like a good way to go for me, but i can't figure out why you are worring about brake line fittings.....does the new axle include calipers? and are u in need of new calipers?

I put a 98 front axle under my 89. The calipers are different as well as the rotors. If you have the new hubs with the bigger axleshafts, you need the new rotors. With the new rotors, you need the new calipers.

My ball joints, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, wheel bearings, and axle shaft seals where all goone so i needed to fix all them... I ended up picking up a whole axle complete for allot cheaper, i think between 250-300. i don't remember exactly.

Don't quote me on this, but you should have a high pinion D30 in your 92, and I believe the 99 will have a low pinion D30. Rebuild the 92 axle. Anybody else???
Thanks,
Dan.

Hey thanks for the replies!

BMW, the dominoe effect of the brakes, etc was what I figured. In other words, I need to stick to all '99 parts on front. Right? How much of a modification to the banjo's did you make? Would I need any specieal brake flaring tools or such?

TRNDRVR, as far as I can tell, 2000 is the year Cryco dumbed down the pinion on the D30.

Thanks to all, any more info appreciated.

Dave

By the way Dan, nice rig! I see you got the same custom paint job on your hood as my XJ. LOL

Damm Chysler paint!

Back