• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico - 50/50 Giveaway!

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
We're going to have the 50/50 Giveaway on Saturday night after dinner. This is a simple giveaway, where the winner will get 50% of the pot, the other 50% will go to the SoCal Chapter.

Donations will be gladly accepted as well :)

Sequoia

Last edited:
Info that may already be known. But just in case.
I don't know if NAXJA qualifies or is registered with the State of California to conduct raffles, but in case it isn't, raffles are otherwise illegal in this state. My supervisor is the president of a local chapter of a worldwide M/C club and they are prohibited to use the word "raffle" in their fund raisers held in the State of California. They use terms like "give-aways" or "donations". Just the wording alone can make the difference of the legality. Maybe NAXJA is able to hold raffles in this state, but if it isn't, caution must be taken to not get the attention of those who might get their feathers ruffled especially when posting such an event in a public forum.

State of California info on raffles: http://www.caag.state.ca.us/charities/faq.htm#raffle3

MojaveDXJ said:
I don't know if NAXJA qualifies or is registered with the State of California to conduct raffles, but in case it isn't, raffles are otherwise illegal in this state. My supervisor is the president of a local chapter of a worldwide M/C club and they are prohibited to use the word "raffle" in their fund raisers held in the State of California. They use terms like "give-aways" or "donations". Just the wording alone can make the difference of the legality. Maybe NAXJA is able to hold raffles in this state, but if it isn't, caution must be taken to not get the attention of those who might get their feathers ruffled especially when posting such an event in a public forum.

State of California info on raffles: http://www.caag.state.ca.us/charities/faq.htm#raffle3

Good point, and I believe that we are not having raffle, but an opportunity drawing :D

MojaveDXJ said:

I understand the concern, but church groups, clubs and charities have been doing raffles of various forms for ever. Remember, a bill was passed as an initiative a few years ago that made previously illegal raffles legal, even though the previous law was never enforced. We have nothing to worry about...it's a non-issue.

On a national basis, we were concerned about this on our give-a-way XJ at the 20th Anniversary event, since we had to comply with various state laws just in case, so the term raffle was never used, it was a sweepstakes drawing.

Sequoia

How did we do on the fund-raising event?

karstic said:
Sequoia

How did we do on the fund-raising event?
I think we raised $84.00. At least that's what Rabbit won. Maybe it was secretly a 60/40 raffle, Sequoia was looking a little tipsy that night,lol. :cheers:

I think he needs a fund raiser for tires.:greensmok

Yes, we raised $84.00 and Jay (ryurabbit) was the lucky guy to take the other $84. I say the whole deal went very nicely, we'll have to do it again!

Dan...do you care to donate to my anti-slicks fund? :D

Back