• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who runs one UCA?

Loose_Nuts_Enterprises

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Last night, I had the XJ up on the rack, and the passenger side had about 3 inches less droop than the driver's side. I couldn't find any binding in TREs, track bar, ect, so I removed the passenger side UCA, which relieved the bind. Is this safe to run on the street? I'm currently battling the dreaded DW, which is present before and after removal of the UCA.

Any Ideas?

Dan

Personally I thing that that is to dangerous.. The reason is: they are designed to use both of the arms for support, by taking on out puts alot of stress on the other and could give away at the wrong time.. To fix this you should probably get some new control arms if you are running stock, the ones with the hiem joints should take care of the binding...

I have Re Adj super flex UCAs. As the suspension droops, the trackbar wants to pull the diff toward the driver's side. As this happens, it appears the UCA on the passenger side is pushing into the UCA mount on the axle and stopping its movement.

I know some of you guys with long arms run only one control arm......

Dan

I hope you're not planning on running one stock upper.
Remember Outer Limits...
picture.JPG

... :)

Jes

Edit: Oops, posted just as you did.

Dan, press out the rubber bushings and put in some johnny joints on the axle side mounts.

Currie makes a kit..

Jes said:
I hope you're not planning on running one stock upper.
Remember Outer Limits...
picture.JPG

... :)

Jes

Edit: Oops, posted just as you did.
I thought I would reinforce that one with some rebar, bailing wire and model glue....should do the trick. Or is that the new URF High Clearance UCAs?? Prototype for half of Beezil's wishbone???

Dan

I'm running a single UCA on a mid-arm 3 link + TB with 38s. It'll work fine but I wouldn't use stock CAs on the trail.

disclaimer: My advice is from years of garage wheeling and it shouldn't be assumed that I ACTUALLY wheel. :)

vintagespeed said:
I'm running a single UCA on a mid-arm 3 link + TB with 38s. It'll work fine but I wouldn't use stock CAs on the trail.

disclaimer: My advice is from years of garage wheeling and it shouldn't be assumed that I ACTUALLY wheel. :)
Vintage, which arm did you delete? Does it make a difference?

Dan

Dan Turner said:
Vintage, which arm did you delete? Does it make a difference?

Dan

I did without the driver's side upper. I wanted to be a rebel & not do mine the way Goatman did. Actually, with the length of my arms it was much easier to make everything fit on the passenger side. But if you're using stock mounts I would try removing the driver's side first, those that I know that have done this didn't have the DW problems I had.

-jb

Goatman has his on the passanger side also!

I have mine on the correct side, drivers, and have made the mounts so they will handle a lower arm as the upper arm. Basic stock locations but beefed up to use 9/16" bolts.

This shot kind of shows the arm.

006.JPG

mark

Worked on it last night. Adjusted castor back to 5* (Was set around 7*), Set toe at 0 from 1/4", and all the wobble seems to be gone. The passenger side UCA is still disconnected, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I think when I tore up those stock UCAs on OUterLimits, it tweaked the mount on the passenger side mount, causing the bind. When I fixed it, I beat the mount back straight, welded it up and reinforced it. But I never checked the alignment to the rear mount. I guess I figured that the suer flex joint would take up the difference. Guess I was wrong.

We'll see how it goes.

Dan

Mark Hinkley said:
Goatman has his on the passanger side also!

I have mine on the correct side, drivers, and have made the mounts so they will handle a lower arm as the upper arm. Basic stock locations but beefed up to use 9/16" bolts.

This shot kind of shows the arm.

mark

That's gotta be the worst picture ever, put down the bottle so you can hold the camera straight! :roll:

-jb

Yep, mine is on the passenger side, and I also used a lower arm for the single upper. The mount is way beefed up, I'd be concerned with a stock frame mount, they've been known to rip off. I also don't like the idea of a single arm with a rubber bushing. I got rid of the rubber bushing on the axle end because I didn't like the slight axle wrap I was getting.......don't know how a single arm with a rubber bushing would hold up.

Dan, I definitely wouldn't do it with a stock upper arm, those things are flimsy.....like you found out on Outer Limits. You bent both arms.....imagine having only one.

Of course, for web wheeling it should work really well.......now you're in an elite group of single arm bandits......... :D :D

Back