• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Fast, Im in BIG trouble here!!

jtszymano

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I tried to change the coils out today and something went really bad.
I am totally stuck and I have no idea what to do. I am way in over my head...

Basically, I couldnt get the coils out w/ the spring compressor and just taking off the track bar from the axle. SO, I tried to take off the LCA's to see if that would help...well It didnt and now the axle is causing the springs to buckle and the axle is totallly rotated. What do I do??
I bent the spring compressors b/c the axle is so rotated...

Is there anyone in LA, who can bail me out of this?? You can have the 3" coils that are there if so!!! Please help me out I really need it. JTS

See the pics tell me what you think...
http://community.webshots.com/album/68693727svfyby

How do I get out of this hole i am in?

You just need to lower the axle down a bit and use a rachet strap to rotate the axle around. Controlling the front end is a matter of position, up and down, and rotational. The rachet strap can put on the lower c-knuckle and then the tow hook bracket for your current problem. Sometimes you need to move it backwards and then you hook it to the cross member or nerfs. Make sure you're on good jack stands on the frame!

Trick for putting the track bar back on: wait til it is on the wheels again and then have someone turn the steering wheel to line up the bolt thru the hole. Make sure they hold it there until you start the nut on.

mark
orgs mfg

Can I just support everything from the jack stands just behind the LCA's. Or is that to dangerous??
I feel that, I will be in good shape if I just get the LCAs back into place...is that right??

The jack stands can go right behind the lower control arm mounts. Stands are a must when working on your suspension!

Don't tell us that you were trying to change your coils with out supporting the rig from the frame!

mark
orgs mfg

No, I had the stands just behind the LCA mounts the whole time. Iguess I should have placed them way higher than where they are now...

How should I go aboutplacing them higher...
I still have the floor and bottle jack under the axle right now WITH the two jack stands supporting the frame...

Where EXACTLY are you... I'm a bit north of you, but for some free 3" coils I would come down and get them out for you, no problem.

Jason

Very important, make sure your spring compressors are one the same windings. From your picture the bottom hooks are a couple of windings apart. They should spring back into shape when you let the tension off.

Jason, how many times have you done something like this?? I really need experience at this point.

Im just south of santa monica, pretty much near venice. Let me know if you could swing by.

Im going to ask at the socal xj bb right now...

Also like Mark said.. its all very simple... With larger coils you have to disconnect a few things to get enough droop from the axle to get them in/out... Make sure to disconnect all of these things...

TRE on the pass side
Trackbar from the axle side
LCA's from the axle side
Sway bar from the axle
Shocks from the axle

Once you have those all disconnected, the axle should droop plenty far enough to just pull those coils right out w/o using a goofy spring compressor... I've yet to use a spring compressor on any of the lifts I've done, there is no need if you disconnect all of those goodies...

If you still need help, let me know...
Jason

How many lifts have I done.. 5-6 at this point, and I've had my front axle out of my jeep 3-5 times, dropped my 3.5" RE coils maybe a dozen times trying to find noises, sqeaks etc... You just do not have enough droop going there... Santa Monica/Venice.. hrmm.. I'm up in the Antelope Valley (Lancaster) if you are REALLY stuck I could come help possibly.

I've NEVER had a problem doing it like so.
Jackstands just behind the LCA brackets, NICE and high. Disconnect shocks, TRE at pass wheel, Trackbar at axle, sway bar, LCAs at the axle. All the while I have a jack under the axle to keep it from flopping to the ground, and then I just lower that. Push on the rotor, and you should get enough droop to just pull the coil right out. Repeat on the other side... Thats how I was taught to do it, and thats how I've done all the lifts I've done. All XJ's and one ZJ.

Jason

If you want to call and talk about it, 661-917-7844

JJ, nice resume for lifts. Ha ha, like who am I to question. I didnt mean to cause offense...

Anyway, okay i am beginig to feel alittle bit better about this.

TRE, I cant remember what that stands for...its not the area where the track bar mounts to the frame, is it?

Dont I need special tools to take that off?

No offense taken, I surely understand needing help from someone that has done it before...

Ok... TRE = Tie Rod End

Its the castle nut w/cotter pin on the passenger side knuckle. Remove the cotter pin, castle nut. Put the castle back on but loose, give it a good tap with a BFH (Big Frekin Hammer) Should pop right out, remove the nut, let it drop.

Trackbar... Remove the bolt on the end of the trackbar at the axle side. There is a nut welded to a plate behind the bracket, so once you get the nut off, watch for that to fall out. (its pretty big, you shouldnt loose it, but it is getting dark out, just a heads up) ... Ok, then you just need to pull that bolt all the way out, the trackbar should drop out... at this point, you should have CRAZY droop and be able to just twist the springs right out one side at a time. If you have a second set of hands, have someone stand on the side you are trying to take off (push down on the axle on that side to make it a little easier to get the coil out) if you dont have anyone, its not a problem just use your bottle jack on top of the axle and use it to push the axle down if you need it a little lower.

Jason

Doh, there are a couple of castle nuts on that side... you want the one that is connected to the TRE that is connected to the Draglink (bar that runs from pass side to pitman arm (steering arm))

Trackbar runs from the frame to the axle tube, is connected to the frame mount via a TRE, you do NOT need to remove this one, just the lower bolt that holds the end that has the bushing...

Jason

OK>>>OK>>>> Dont panic is the first rule of any problem
From what I can see the advise offered to you by the others is right on the money, however, you biggest issue is space you need more heighth. The only thing I can tell you is since all your jacks are used up maybe borrow one or go to you local parts store wal-mart whatever and buy a cheap jack. Then put a board behind the rear wheels and get that thing up about 3-4 feet off the ground in the front. Then follow the previous instructions.

p.s if the jack or stand dont go that high use some wood between them.

From the looks of your pictures, you should have plenty of room to get those coils in and out...

Also Mark touched on a bit of advise that is Pure Platinum when it comes to getting things back together... He said to drop it off the jackstands on the wheels and have a friend turn the wheels till the trackbar bolt lines up. This also works for LCA's that are being stubborn getting lined up, just be carefull of finger tips when things are moving around under there with the weight of the vehicle and someone turning the wheel, you could pinch something pretty bad in there if you didnt pay attention...

Jason

Does it matter that my spring compressors(see pics) got alittle bent b/c of the buckling of the springs...will it be hard to use them when I finally get them off?

Jason, I might give you a ring tonight. Everything sounds sooo easy until you actually get there and try to do it...Im just sorta sketchy w/ the TRE and things like that...

Im going to retry sometime tomorrow, hopefully w/ more help...

Let me know if there is anyhting else...

Just ditch the compressors, they will end up just hurting you when the pop off and pinch something bad... You don't need them at all. What size springs are you putting back in? Dont be scared of the TRE... Tell you the truth there is NOTHING to fear with the front end at all. Its all pretty much, if you take it off, you can put it back on the same way...

also, if you run into not being able to get enough droop out of the axle, look at what might be hanging you up... could be a brake line, or ....

Jason

Undo your shocks, thats your main problem right now.

Another trick is to use the floor jack to lift up the opposite side you want to drop. The front springs almost drop out just by disconnecting the shocks. Also, did you remove the spring retainer clips ?? To me the biggest PIA is getting those bump stops off. We did a TJ last fall and total time for all 4 springs from 'up on the stands' to 'down on the ground' was 2 hours and that was an OME. I'm also one that does not like spring compressors, seen more than one pop.

Shocks are disco'ed at the bottom on both sides...
Do I have to remove the bumpstops?
Rich, I tried the jack up the opposite side thing and that didnt work, or maybe I just didnt do it right.

Also, how can I protect myself from the compressors going out of control??

Back