• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about ABS

Çrestfa||en

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to disable my ABS system. Just removed the fuse named "IGN ABS". Will I die?

Yes, you will die. I don't know if it will be because of that though. :laugh3:

Seriously though, what year XJ? My understanding is that you can not disable the ABS on older XJ's as there is no non-ABS system to fall back on when the ABS fails.

I have also heard that there are two fuses to disable the ABS on newer XJ's. One under the hood and one in the cab. If you do a search on removing ABS you should find a bunch of threads asking about this.

Good luck.
-Brian

Çrestfa||en said:
I'm trying to disable my ABS system. Just removed the fuse named "IGN ABS". Will I die?

Pulled out of the driveway today and wowy no brakes put the fuse back and it worked. I've read that you need to take out the ABS relay anyone know which relay it is I haven't found any wiring diagrams or such relating to the ABS seems like chrysler doesn't wont me messing around with it or some thing.

saw that article guess I will have to wait tell I have the time to do it.

The old bendix ABS system on early XJ's used a high pressure electric pump instead of a brake booster to assist you in braking. Taking out the fuse, relay or ANYTHING that controlsl power to that pump will result in NO POWER BRAKES. If you hate your ABS and cannot afford to swap it out, or don't have the skills, unhook the ABS computer under the rear seat. ABS will stop working this way but your pump will not. The only way around the pump is to swap in a non-abs system. I got mine for $70 from the junkyard and did it in 4 hours. Its pretty easy. If you want another reason to ditch ABS... heres one - did you know that the pressure that pump builds can reach 3000psi and above? I don't know about you but I don't want my brake fluid pressure to be that high. If it ever burst I bet it could cut metal.

SimpleXJ

IntrepidXJ said:
disabling the abs in a 90 will render the brakes useless.

Not true.

If you pull the "ABS BATT" fuse, IIRC a 2 amp fuse, the computer loses power and the brakes will continue to function as normal power brakes.

If you pull the fuse that the thread starter indicated he did, you lose power to the pressure pump, rendering the brakes practically useless.

I recently went a step beyond that after changing from ABS to non-ABS axles and completely removed the computer.

The brakes continue to work properly.

Last edited:
SimpleXJ said:
If you want another reason to ditch ABS... heres one - did you know that the pressure that pump builds can reach 3000psi and above? I don't know about you but I don't want my brake fluid pressure to be that high. If it ever burst I bet it could cut metal.
SimpleXJ

It's my understanding that the pressure can reach those upper limits in the pressure accumulators, but the actual line pressure is considerably less. The brakes themselves are essentially no different than any other XJ at the wheels and 3000 psi would certainly cause them some problems.

thanks for the info guys seems like every ABS thread posted a little bit more information is brought to light.

Back