• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pilot bushing/bearing question on BA-10/ax-15 swap

BiggerIsBetter

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of swapping out my BA-10 tranny on my '89 4.0 to an AX-15 from a '96 and I've read all about the swap on here, but I still have a couple questions...When I went to remove the old pilot bearing from the '89 I noticed that it was surrounded by a bushing. Everyone on here says to get a pilot bushing from a '73 CJ 304 3spd, well don't you need a bearing too? The bushing from the CJ fits the shaft of the tranny perfectly and looks like it will fit the crank shaft too, but without a bearing wouldn't there be excessive wear from the shaft rubbing on the bushing? With the '73 CJ bushing there is no room for a bearing to squeeze inside of it so I assume I don't need one?.........Second question: I removed the pilot bearing from the '89, but I couldn't get the bushing surrouding it out. The pilot bearing puller wouldn't catch the edge of the bushing to pull it out, is there another way to get the bushing out besides a puller?...maybe heating it up? Any info would be excellent. Thanks.

Don't worry, Bronze bushings do the same job as bearings. As long as the bushing you have fits both the pilot shaft and the hole in the engine (regardless of whether or not the "bushing" you see is still there), you're good to go! :D I just removed the bearing and installed the bushing when I did my conversion.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I did the same conversion on my '88. The CJ bushing works just fine. The old pilot bearing on my BA-10/15 came out in pieces too. I used a carbide bit in my Dremel and cut a couple grooves and used a cold chisle to finish spliting the remaining bearing retainer. Just go slow and cut a little at a time. Good Luck.

Woody

BiggerIsBetter said:
I'm in the middle of swapping out my BA-10 tranny on my '89 4.0 to an AX-15 from a '96 and I've read all about the swap on here, but I still have a couple questions...When I went to remove the old pilot bearing from the '89 I noticed that it was surrounded by a bushing. Everyone on here says to get a pilot bushing from a '73 CJ 304 3spd, well don't you need a bearing too? The bushing from the CJ fits the shaft of the tranny perfectly and looks like it will fit the crank shaft too, but without a bearing wouldn't there be excessive wear from the shaft rubbing on the bushing? With the '73 CJ bushing there is no room for a bearing to squeeze inside of it so I assume I don't need one?.........Second question: I removed the pilot bearing from the '89, but I couldn't get the bushing surrouding it out. The pilot bearing puller wouldn't catch the edge of the bushing to pull it out, is there another way to get the bushing out besides a puller?...maybe heating it up? Any info would be excellent. Thanks.
I have the exact same senario...89 cherokee 4.0.In the process of swapping in the ax15.What's the purpose in the bushing that surrounds the pilot bearing?I ordered a 94 on up luk gold clutch kit and the pilot bearing that came in the kit fits perfectly on the ax15 input shaft but is too big o.d to fit in the crank bushing
I figured the bushing was an adapter for the smaller peugot pilot bearing(jeep used the 2 different manual transmissions in 89) so I removed the bushing and now the crank hole is too big for the pilot that came with my luk clutch.
Should I order a new crank bushing and find a bearing that will fit inside that?Or should I leave the bushing out and get a pilot that fits directly into the crank?Quick reply needed!!!Thanks

Just get the late 70s CJ bushing from your local auto parts store. $2 and you'll be on your way! :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

[font=&quot]I think its just an adapter to make it work with an off the shelf needle bearing. I ended up suing a chisel to collapse it out. You will not use it with the CJ part.[/font]

Ok,I got the cj bushing today.It is made by motormite p#14674 it fits the crank and the input shaft good but how do I tell if it is the one that has to be soaked in oil over night?It just looks like a regular bushing...and the package doesn't say anything about lubrication,It doesn't appear to be porous.Thanks for all the input.

No really,I'm serious....So your saying "just put it in",huh?What is all this hoopla about a oil impregnated bushing I've been reading about?The one that is supposed to be soaked in oil before installation.
Sounds stupid I know but so did using a 73 cj pilot in a 89 cherokee when I first heard it.What did you use to lubricate yours?(no pun intended)

[font=&quot]Just up it in. You do not want oil on your flywheel. Oil on the fiction surface… BAD. The oil is in the brass. Its magic brass.:laugh3:[/font]

Back