• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Questions on RE and Rusty's

XJhammer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at doing a 4.5" with leaf pack and the RE and Rusty's are looking like the two that I'm going to be choosing from. In the beginning of this process I was siding toward the Rusty’s lift mostly for price reasons. I was just on Rusty’s site and although the lift is cheaper the shipping and lack of disconnects jack the price up. This leads me to my first question

How much is too much for shipping? Rusty’s wanted 160+ for shipping to Colorado. That just seems a little too much for just shipping.

I’ve found the RE 4.5 for around 870 shipping included. With the disconnects (JKS) the Rusty lift is about 980 shipping included.

I guess my questions are shipping cost, and what would you put on your XJ?

Thanks

Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but I think the general consensus is that RE is the way to go, especially compared to Rusty's. I've seen pics and heard of failed Rusty's parts fairly often. The RE disconnects leave a lot to be desired though, so I would recommend getting a credit for those and getting the JKS. Just my .02

I went with Rusty's because of price and how much off-roading I actually get to do, very little. The cost difference was to great to throw an RE kit up there. If I had the money and didn't care I would of went with RE's. But this is my DD and it doesn't see much dirt.
I think that is WAY to much for shipping. Did you get that off the automatic web page calculation? I'd call them and see if that is what it costs, I bet they would ship it for less. I'm close to them, Florida, and it cost me $85.

But if you plan on going off-road quite often I would tell you to go with the RE kit if you have the money.

I like Rusty's parts. I have have his 3" lift, with full spring pack, HD track bar and mount, coil spacers and a steering stabilizer. I have not had one problem with any off his parts to date. I have had this stuff on my Jeep for about 6 months or so.

Alex

Last edited:
I know Rustys old stuff is not that great, but they have improved everything in their inventory, and now there stuff is awsome. I use to run the Rustys 4.5 kit and it was great, I now run the 6.5 kit and it is also very good.

I have some of Rusty's stuff on my rig and it has served me well so far. As far as shipping he has always killed me, I'm in CA. RE may have the higher price but shipping for me is cheap and fast. If you do go with Rusty, make sure you get a tracking number. I and others have had problems with Rusty and lost shipments. He makes good on them, but it may require a lot of phone calls.

I'd shop that RE6130 Lift around. I finally got mine @ 4WD Parts for $800.00 including frt. excluding Shocks. I got the OME's @ $56.00 apiece.

I've also heard that Dirk @ DPG.com will meet or beat.

I've got Rusty's 4.5 right now. I've also gotten other parts from him with great service and cheap shipping (to Illinois). $160 sounds like way too much, especially from Rusty's. I'd be surprised if they quoted you that over the phone; if so, go somewhere else.

I used to have the RE 4.5" xtreme duty on my YJ. They charged me $150 for shipping b/c all they would use is FedEx (ouch!). I don't think the quality of that kit was any better than Rusty's kit I have now. RE is way overpriced in my opinion, and everytime I've called them they act like total pricks.

My only complaint about Rusty's is the F'ing POS steering conversion (Gen 2) I bought from him. Other than that, no complaints.

Shop around fro RE prices....the quality is unquestioned....that is a big thing.

When tweaking your rig, having the best foundation possible is worth a bit extra down the road...

RJ

TOZOVR said:
Shop around fro RE prices....the quality is unquestioned....that is a big thing.

When tweaking your rig, having the best foundation possible is worth a bit extra down the road...RJ

RE all the way...do it right the first time. :peace:

After 6 months of searching and reading the boards I am going to order an RE6130 on Friday. The prices range greatly from place to place, but I am probably going with Dirk @ dpgoff.com he has a very good rep from what I have been hearing...

Alot of Rustys stuff sucks. I've owned his 4.5" and I also live 1 hour away from him. I now own RE/Clayton/BO. No Rustys!

I too have been doing a lot of research, and I decided on RE hands down. A friend and I are going in together on it, to save some shipping costs. We are getting the 3.5" super ride kits for $305 each to our door. We had a local shop that was a RE dealer order them for us.

Hope you haven't ordered yet......I just got my RE 5.5" Extreme Duty kit. Johnjohn at bigoffroad.com totally hooked me up........awesome price and the shocks were the new Rubicon Express shocks. Killer deal and great shocks. I have owned 3 R.E. kits and wouldn't own anything else. I have seen firsthand what poor foundations can do on the trail(read "Rusty's"). don't skimp now and wish you hadn't while riding in the cab of a very expensive tow.

just my .02

xjbmx said:
at jeepin outfitters you can get free shipping and free dt3000 shocks for 900 bucks

I'll second Jeepin Outfitters. Bought my RE 6130 a couple of months ago and highly recommend it (Installed it by myself over a couple day period). Jason is good to work with and has now added a phone number on the site for contact. Understand that some didn't feel comfortable communicating just by email and after I notified him of it he added one. His prices are what a few folks used to get other sites to match for price.

Shipping is FREE and it comes WITH shocks. I also ordered the Heavy Duty track bar & Bracket and would recommend the up-grade to JKS dicos. I didn't order the JKS discos right away and had to go back to order them after the fact. Even though I couldn't get the exchange credit for the RE Discos Jason was quick to offer me a good deal on them and I bought them.

I also called and talked with RE twice during the install and they were pleasantly helpfull. I guess you can always have a bad experience with anyone but mine was great. http://jeepin.com/outfitters/catalog.asp?ID=124

The only gripe I had with the RE kit was the instruction sheet not being that great but they now have much better intructions on-line.

go RE! I think it's funny that most people that say they have rusty's and it's great also say they don't do much off roading :dunno: . I have thethe Rubicon Express Kit it's awsome and I do offroad just about every weekend...and it's my DD! Make sure when you order it you tell them if you have the crysler 8.25 or else the u-joints they send you will be too small because they are for the dana.

afjeep2082 said:
go RE! I think it's funny that most people that say they have rusty's and it's great also say they don't do much off roading :dunno: .

Been wheeling my Rusty's 6" lift 15 months, a couple of times a week. Had to install limitstraps on the coils, it flexed so much. No sag as of yet and 75%of the time it's driven offroad.

Only problem so far has been the quick disco's. I broke one, which was totally my fault. I should have disco'd. I think JKS quicker disco's have raised the platform in design.

BTW......The new RE catalog should be out very soon.

Back