• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle straightness......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok the new housing is stripped except for gears and seals. How can I check this housing for straightness. The camber was off 2deg on my old axle. And b4 I go through swapping this axle in I'd like to check it out well. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Use a piece of paper and eye-ball it. You should be able to easily see if it's true of not by looking through it.

Paper????

pancake said:
Use a piece of paper and eye-ball it. You should be able to easily see if it's true of not by looking through it.

Paper? Clarify?

I read somewhere once that you can do this by removing the gears and axles and then set up a light bulb in the center of the gear case so it is aligned with the tube openings. Then turn on the bulb and hold a piece of paper at the wheel end of the axle tube and you should get a perfect circle of light at each end if the housing and tubes are straight. If bad the light will not show as an exact circle (assuming of course the end of the axle tube is perfectly round). There may have been a reference point or perhaps a circle drawn on the paper equal to that of the end of the tube and the iluminated circle should then match up exactly. It went something like that IIRC. Good Luck. Greg

The object here.....

Is to not disrupt the gears..... Any other thoughts?

Ghost said:
Is to not disrupt the gears..... Any other thoughts?

Got a carpenter's level?

Set the axle up on jack stands. Shim one or both stands until you have the axle tube on one side absolutely level. Then put the bubble on the other tube and see if it's also level.

Then rotate the assmebly 90 degrees and repeat to check it in the other plane.

Now that is what I'm looking for.....

I'll give that a try when the ice storm goes away. Thanks Eagle

Eagle said:
"... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
— Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering

Hey man, what is up with the neo-nazi crap in your sig? Shouldn't that be in the dumpster?

Axle straightness.......

MaXJohnson said:
Hey man, what is up with the neo-nazi crap in your sig? Shouldn't that be in the dumpster?

It's a quote. It is a statement made by an indivedual. This thread is about axle straightness. If you have an issue with some one post it elsewhere please.

Yes it is a thread about checking axle straightness. However, the quote is somewhat on point since it deals with the those in power (i.e., the axle) not being truthfull (i.e., straight) with the people (i.e., the wheels that keep the vehicle going). :shocked: Greg

That is a strech at best........

Reaching a little there arn't we?

Last edited:
Is this a front axle? If so, none of the methods offered will tell you if the camber is off. They also probably won't tell you if the bearing seats are machined true. The front axles on all three of my "non-adjustable" XJs have the camber off by about 1 degree. If you have wheels on the axles, you could check for camber error in the same manner that you can check toe with a tape measure.

Camber is off......

On the front axle on the XJ now. 2 1/4 deg and 2 3/4 deg. I got two axles to build one. One is 4.10 geared but booted cv joints. The other is a 297 jointed ABS one. I want to check and see if the axle is straight b4 I install it. If it is straight and still off camber then it is elswhere. IE: knuckles. The quote is part of his sig. If you change your sig I believe it changes all your sigs.

Update.......

Pulled my axle apart and out this weekend. Put a tape measure to it and the other three axle's in my shop. The one I pulled is .5" narrower at the top ball joint then the ones from the junk yard. :) I will get more precise measurements when I can get some help with it.

Back