• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM gastank skid and exhaust hanger

clay

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a used OEM gastank skid for my 1995 XJ. When I line it up for install it covers the mount location for the rear exhaust hanger (rubber loop that bolts to the frame with a metal hanger which attaches to the exhaust pipe). Do I just need to drill holes in the lip of the skid or are there alternative hangers that I should look at. I don't want to go without the rear hanger as this may cause the pipe to knock against the skid or leaf. Any help would be great. The exhaust is the Rusty's 2 1/2 inch with flowmaster muffler.

Thanks,
Clay

You should have gotten another plate for the exhaust hanger that uses the gas tank mounting bolts, and has a couple of studs for the exhaust hanger.

It's probably not a big deal to drill a couple of holes in the lip to use the stock hanger.

I cut out a slot around where the hanger is. It was that or nothing, cause practically every stock bolt I touch breaks off.

My used factory gas tank skid already had a cutout for the exhaust hanger...

Are you sure you have the skid turned the right way?

xjohnnyc said:
My used factory gas tank skid already had a cutout for the exhaust hanger...

Are you sure you have the skid turned the right way?

this was my thought exactly!

i have a 1996, and when i went to install a used gas tank skid i first held it up the wrong way!

it SHOULD have a notch cut out for the exhaust hanger--you shouldnt have to make any mods.

make sure u have the correct skid for the correct year---make sureu dont havea 97+ skid ;)

CaptTrev

I was told that the skid came off of a 1994 and mine is a 1995 (got it on ebay). Yes, I am holding it up the only way the mounting points line up. It is fairly obvious which is the right way given that the other way would require all new mounting holes. Both lips (on either side of the skid) are solid (it only has predrilled holes for mounting), with no notches. I was assuming that they must have used a different style of hanger with this skid, which is why I posted the question.

I put one on my '89, the were the same as yours then, so here goes.

First, do you have a factory hitch? If not then you need nut strips (I have some that I can get for you).

Basically what you do is remove the plastic shield from the gas tank (I cut it off) first. Then remove the hanger and let the exaust just, well, hang :) Now you'll have to remove the front bolts off the reciever (it won't fall on you) that is shared with the tank skid.

If you don't have the receiver than you'll need to install at least one nut strip, to do this remove the rear bumper and slide the stirp into the frame, rivit it inot place to make it easier to work wtih. You may have to do it on the other side, I'm not sure if the exaust hanger always used that strip or not.

Put the tank skid into place, and bolt it up. Then put the hanger back on.

Go off roading and try to dent it some.

Sequoia

Mine was definately aligned correctly as well. There was a slot (rather small) for the hanger to drop through the side 'rail' of the skid, but to use it it would have involved unbolting (and in my rusty case...destroying) the hanger/bolt in the process.

Back