• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33" tire question SSR's and TRXUS'

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have been searching for new tires for the last few weeks. I have 33" SSR's (Thanks to Tolly) two of them are around 75% tread and the other two are bald. So I need two more and at $180+ each tire I don't like it.
So I decided to go with 33" TRXUS at about $125 each tire mounted and balanced. My main question is which would you run on the front of the XJ and which ones on the rear. Keep in mind I am welded rear and locker in front (with axle disco so that don't effect it).
DIG IT!

I don't think anybody will recommend running such different fronts and rears. Having said that, I would put the trxus up front so that by the time the SSR's are shredded you can maybe match up the fronts with new trxus for the rears. If you are going to be driving in the snow this winter, put the trxus in the rear with welded setup for better traction.

Sounds like you are always going to be offset in tire wear, front to rear...might be time to sell those SSR's and go trxus all the way around, with rotation about every 1,000 miles.

Nay

What is the problem with running different fronts and rears? I don' see how it would affect anything at all.

BUCKYXJ said:
What is the problem with running different fronts and rears? I don' see how it would affect anything at all.
Any tire radius difference front to rear will cause binding in the t-case (unless you've got a 242 and you leave it in full-time high range). This isn't necessarily a problem if the trail surface allows tire slippage to compensate, but under the wrong circumstances it can be disasterous to the t-case.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I am talking same radius within a quarter inch or so. Just different style of tires.

Binding can still occur, it's just a question of whether or not it matters. I simply can't say. There are lots of variables involved. Just be sure to measure as you air down because the two tires probably don't deform the same at the same air pressure. Also, do you plan on rotating them?
Jeep on!
--Pete

You'll want truxus all the way around unless you just run mud, my wifes xj crawls like crazy with her 31" truxus and when my 36" swampers are worn out I might go with 35" truxus. Put your truxus in the front, IMHO binding wont be a problem unless your crawling the mall.

I don't think binding will be much of a problem unless you are running it 4 wheel drive all the time.

Run the SSR's in the rear and the truxus up front. The SSR have a more agressive tread.

well, those SSR's run big....

I have run both....I'd run the SSR's out back...

Both the TrXus and the SSR's are the best radials that Interco makes IMHO.

As far as mixing them, well if you must you must (know lots of guys running boggers out back and TSL's up front but only on trail rigs)

RJ

This is going to be street driven maybe a couple days a week if that much.
DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:

I dunno, what's the difference between putting snow tires on only one set of wheels vs. all four? You are setting up a traction difference between the front and rear, and that can cause some unexpected unpleasantness in slick weather (like when it rains on the Interstate in Texas :guitar: ).

I am a big advocate of balance. Balance is the reason a lot of us love the XJ so much. Having different tire traction on both ends is one way to upset balance. I doubt it will be a big deal, but in certain situations having more traction on one end could cause unpredictable behavior.

I'm guessing you are doing this for budget reasons, and you have to do what you have to do. Money aside, I think you'd like four of the exact same tires with those SSR's as spares.

Nay

Ok local shop here has 4 used 33" ssr's for like $200 (my price since I get everything there) they have about half maybe a little more tread so I might pick those up and do a 6 tire rotation or just run two on the rear except for on the trail runs.

Back