• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Problem

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My Vent, and Heat setting seems to be stuck on defrost. No matter what setting its on, it always blows the hot air out like its on defrost. I'm not sure how else i can explain it so if you have any questions that i could answer so that you have an idea as to whats wrong then feel free to ask away. Also would not having the air conditioning lines hooked up have anything to do with it? Just a thought.

The heater / defrost baffels are controlled by vacuum. The off, or no vacuum position to the vacuum motors directs all air to the defrost position. Have you recently done any work under the dash? If so, look for one of the small vacuum hoses pulled off the heater control. Otherwise, check for a vacuum leak.

What year is your XJ? Does it have the vacuum disco front axle? Any problems with it coming unlocked in 4WD? If so, look again for a vacuum leak.
MoFo

9 out of 10 times the vaccuum reserve canister in your bumper has cracked, broken, or the hose fell off. It is in the pass. side in the front bumper. Take a look there. Have you hit anything lately?

SimpleXJ

Just wanted to let you know the jeep is a 1992 and is 2wd right now. It was wrecked in the front end. Im fixing it up for a first ride since im turning 16 soon. I have done some work in the dash, just put in a new stereo and my dad and i looked and we didnt notice anything unplugged around the heater control. It was wrecked in the front end. I had to replace the rad support, radiator, fans, etc. I haven't looked at the vacuum canister yet but i will tomorrow when i get up since its dark out now. I'll let you know once i look tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Just wanted to let you guys know i got my heater working. It turns out that when it was wreck the vacuum canister disappeared. I took one off the parts jeep, hooked it up, and now my heater works like a champ and all the heater controls work correctly.

Back