• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for tcase info

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find a site that can tell me about all the different tcase in xj's. I've got a 86 at the shop that has a fixxed yoke tcase in it and I dont know if its worth a hoot...what all did they have? Also got a 84 4cyl 4 spd 4x that I dont know anything about...I didnt even know they came with 4 speeds...

that t/case would be a (IIRC) np 207 or 208..... i have wondered about the strength of the slip yoke d/shaft on those since i had that on a parts rig last year..
mike

Not entirely correct Striptide.....

There were three Tcases used from 84-86. They were the 207, 228, & 229. I have yet to see a fixed yoke case in an XJ that was not swaped in. Can you read the tag? The 4 speed is an AX-4. Same as an AX-5 just no 5th gear.

I'll get the tag off the fixxed yoke one...swear it looks oem though...no one would do that to a stock v6 never off roaded xj....thanks...the four speed that guy told was in there seems like a 5 speed to me...

LOL it might be like my dad's old 84 2.5l/5sp.

The shifter handle kept pulling off the spud (they got tired of it & clamped a pair of Vise Grips on it.) I came home on leave one year, and they had splurged for a new shifter & knob. It was a 4spd. I drove for like 200 miles and 'accidentaly' found 5th gear :doh:

You may have an AX5 in there with a 4spd knob...

Should be the 228 if it has the fixed yoke, it will also have a non disco front axle, I looked at an 86 XJ waggy that had that set up just before I bought the one I have now.
http://www.ifsja.org/tech/tcase/np228knowledge.shtml
http://www.ifsja.org/tech/tcase/selectrac.shtml
They used the same tcase in the Full size waggy that year, I have heard tell that there may have been a few 229's (fixed yoke too) used as well.... if I remember right though the difference is the 228 had a gear type center diff in the case and the 229 had the viscous coupler which is way expensive to replace if it goes bad.
BTW there should be a round tag on the backside of the tcase that will have the model # on it.
HTH,
Mike B.

There were actually 4 xfer cases for those years. And yes there were 2 fixed yolks. The one mentioned and the 261 which was only available on the 85 and was an amc xfer case. This had the benefit of fixed yolk and the ability to shift into 2lo....if you still need info hop on over to jeepforums.com and go to the cherokee forum...there will be sticky thread there labeled cherokee stock specs...this will have everything you will need...

-John

Back