• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I6 MSD ignition questions

Dont have an answer for you, perse, but I would attack every thing OTHER than the ignition on your 99, I think distributorless started in 00, so you dont have to worry aboutt that.

For ignition, id get some 8mm wires, some good plugs, and a good cap and rotor, and call it quits on ignition. Untill you have every other bolt on and your looking for stuff to spend $$ on, or you score a cheap one.

(Im assuming your talking of a 6a and a coil. ???)

The nice thing about the MSD is that you can sell it on ebay after you decide it doesn't have any effect on performance or fuel economy

Even and odd fire refer to the Buick/GM 231ci V6 - 90-degree, which is a shortened 350. The elimination of the rear two cylinders (or was it the front two? Anyhow...) caused a vibration and/or timing problem that was caused by a crank redesign and a slight change in ignition timing. A patient parts guy can show you the two distributor caps if you are interested, and it will make a little more sense. The EVEN fire has towers every 60 degrees on the cap, while the ODD fire has two largish and two smallish arcs.

The terms ODD and EVEN fire never applied to inline sixes - but they could be said to be EVEN fire since there is a spark going out every 60 degres of distributor rotation. However, there is no other option for the I6, so it's not necessary to mention it.

If you talk to MSD tech and tell them what you have, they should have no trouble helping you. Really, our lives are a lot simpler than Buick/GM V6/90 owners!

5-90

hjeepxj said:
Dont have an answer for you, perse, but I would attack every thing OTHER than the ignition on your 99, I think distributorless started in 00, so you dont have to worry aboutt that.

For ignition, id get some 8mm wires, some good plugs, and a good cap and rotor, and call it quits on ignition. Untill you have every other bolt on and your looking for stuff to spend $$ on, or you score a cheap one.

(Im assuming your talking of a 6a and a coil. ???)
I had this digital 6 plus sitting around that I didn't get to installing on my old 95 Z28 and thought I would throw it in since it wasn't doing anything better.

5-90 said:
Even and odd fire refer to the Buick/GM 231ci V6 - 90-degree, which is a shortened 350. The elimination of the rear two cylinders (or was it the front two? Anyhow...) caused a vibration and/or timing problem that was caused by a crank redesign and a slight change in ignition timing. A patient parts guy can show you the two distributor caps if you are interested, and it will make a little more sense. The EVEN fire has towers every 60 degrees on the cap, while the ODD fire has two largish and two smallish arcs.

The terms ODD and EVEN fire never applied to inline sixes - but they could be said to be EVEN fire since there is a spark going out every 60 degres of distributor rotation. However, there is no other option for the I6, so it's not necessary to mention it.

If you talk to MSD tech and tell them what you have, they should have no trouble helping you. Really, our lives are a lot simpler than Buick/GM V6/90 owners!

5-90
Wow, thanks for the information. Now if I could figure out if I have a magnetic pickup on my distributor.

The XJ is considered to be a Mag Pickup distributor, IIRC. Since the ignition signal is generated by a Hall Effect switch located in the bellhousing (for 1991-1999 XJ,) it works like a typical mag pickup. I remember seeing 4.0-specific info on the MSD site, and I may have a copy running around somewhere... Also, I'd appreciate anything your locate or generate for addition to my archives...

5-90

Don't waste your time or $$$

On a 99 you aren't going to gain anything in performance or reliability with an aftermarket ignition. The MSD 6-AL is an excellent unit but there is no gain below the 5200 RPM limit which is computer controlled and not in the distributor. I have installed the MSD in my MJ drag race truck but the expected rev limit is 6600 and at those RPMs the MSD works fine. Suggest you buy a cat back exhaust, K&N filter and pick up some performance that the ignition can't give you.

Back