• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it time to take down your flag?

TC

NAXJA Forum User
There's a lot of tattered and faded American flags hanging in front of homes that need to come down. I guess most of those who have them in this condition just don't realize how bad they look. This is just a friendly reminder to take a look at Old Glory out front to see if it's time to replace her. TC

No doubt.

I hope this doesn't come off sounding self-congratulatory, but I was a'flag flyin' long before 9-11. My flag waves ILLUMINATED at night, and is replaced as soon as the blue begins to fade. I don't think I've ever waved a torn flag.

One thing that bugs me as much as tattered flags, is the folks that display their flags vertically THE WRONG WAY.

Folks, the star field belongs ON THE LEFT as viewed from the outside of a building. If you have the flag displayed in a window where it can be visible on both sides, it is best dso that the star field is on the left as viewed from the exterior.

People jumped on the band-wagon after 9-11 on my block and began displaying flags (hey, its a good thing!) mostly vertically, the wrong way. I wrote them nice notes giving them a heads-up, and I never expected that my notes would be recieved so well, ALL the homes I left notes for, had their flags corrected by the next day. Unexpected, and nice people care.

other than that, non-illuminated flags (at night) bug me as much as torn ones do......

As an added note to this post, please be sure to "retire" your old flag appropriatly. If you do not know how to do this, might I suggest you take it to someone who does. Your local VFW will do it or you might want to contact your local BoyScouts of America council, they can also retire it properly. If you have never seen a ceremony to retire our flag, do yourself a favor and go to one of these ceremonies. They can be a very moving tribute to what our flag stands for.

Title 36, Section 176 US Code states:

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting
emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by
burning.

This is not the entire content of this Title.

You can find a lot of info on the internet by doing a search under US Flag retirement. There are a lot of sights with ceremonies that can be done. Several Boy Scout Troops have web pages with information and scripts for different ceremonies. A private retirement, I would think, could be any that you want as long as dignified. I think it should be done with others that would benefit and learn from the ceremony.

I personally have done private ceremonies by quietly, respectfully, and reverently building a small fire on which I placed a flag with thoughts and prayers for those who have sacrificed in it's name followed by burrying the ashes in an appropriate manner.

All true. In most places, the VFW will accept flags and dispose of them properly. In my little burg it's been difficult to figure out who to contact, though. I still have the faded flag that my father flew for many years. It is threadbare and faded, but not torn, but I felt it was time to retire it honorably. It has been folded in the prescribed triangular fold and I'm keeping it until I either find out who will accept it for proper disposal, or I give up and do it myself.

Beezil is correct about flag ettiquette. The flag should always be displayed at what is called "the flag's right," which means to the right as if you were standing behind the flag looking out toward whoever is expected to view it.

Other countries fly their flags 24/7. The American flag is supposed to be flown dawn to dusk, unless artificially illuminated at night.

Also, do not forget to strike the flag in inclement weather, unless it is specified as an "All-Weather" flag AND is properly illuminated, or is sheltered and illuminated, as I recall.

The best source for information is a lookup at house.gov for Title 4, United States Code. This is the section that concerns itself with etiquette of the Flag, Great Seal, and other national Ensigns. It also describes when to fly the flag at half-mast, mourning streamers for when you cannot, and other stuff that we always forget...

5-90

Many flags should be retired but not necessarily disposed of. The Star Spangled Banner, the flag that inspired the words to our national anthem is old and battered but shouldn't be destroyed. Many flags that flew during fierce battles are shot to pieces, the flag they found buried in the rubble of the Twin Towers is shredded, yet was flown with dignity during a Yankees home game.

A flag flown for years with pride by ones' father should be kept as a treasured keepsake. It's ok to find a display case for it and pass it on to your children

I agree! Ratty looking flags bum me out, unless they have history, and improperly displayed ones aren't cool. (backwards or unlit at night) Upside down is OK I suppose for cause - I flew my 13 star colonial flag that way when the 'assault weapon ban' was enacted....and ordered up a pile of highcap mags for my toys

I donated a flag for our lab and helped build a pole on Sept 10th, 2002. I'd like to donate a solar powered spotlight for it next...not enough folks retrieve the colors at COB.

Self de-commisioning a flag is OK in my book, as long as it's done properly and solemnly.

A lot of good folks gave and are giving our nation their all for it - honor them by properly conducting it's care & handling.

:patriot:

thanks

Beez, why is the star field displayed on the left-hand side if the flag is hung vertically? It looks to me like it's backwards when displayed in this mannar.

:confused:

I dunno its just the way it supposed to be. Maybe someone knows the real history of it.....

once you get used to knowing the way its supposed to be, the wrong way looks completely retarded....

the other night Hoosiers (the movie with gene hackman) was on....EVERY SCENE where there is an american flag hanging in the gym was the wrong way.....Actually, there is no scene where I noticed the flag hanging the right way.

Melinda had to switch to a different channel cause I bitched too much about it. IIRC correctly, we ended up watching some stupid chick movie instead.....BONUS!

Economos said:
Beez, why is the star field displayed on the left-hand side if the flag is hung vertically?

Because that's the "flag's right"

The star field is also displayed on the left (as we look at it from the street) when the flag is horizontal. Again, it's the flag's right, which means to the right if you were standing behind the flag looking out toward whoever is supposed to be viewing the flag.

The only exception is the flag patch on our soldiers' right shoulders. Those have the star field on the right as we view them. The reason was explained as having to do with an old-fashioned flag being carried into battle on a pole. The flag would float back away from the enemy as the flag advanced, so viewed by an advancing soldier from the flag's left side the star field would be to the left, but viewed by an advancing soldier to the right of the flag, the field would be on the right. So, in the expectation that American soldiers always advance, they put the flag on the right shoulder so it is oriented correctly to mimic an advancing battle flag.

Eagle

Thanks for that bit of wisdom, I was unaware of it. And I agree 100% with MistWolf, Eagle, DO NOT retire your fathers flag. Buy or have someone make you a tri-cornered display case and keep it in the family for generations to come, along with any history of the man who proudly displayed it and why. I will bequeath the flag that draped my fathers casket to my only son when I die, and I hope he will keep it for his lifetime also.

Remember that the right-hand side is the "position of Honour" - if you see military people walking about in uniform, rank should increase as you scan to the line's own right (your left, as you look.) For instance, a non-com and a captain walking down the sidewalk would have the captain to the right of the sergeant, and the captain would also be a half-step ahead.

The blue field is a reference for the top of the flag, and is therefore kept its own right or its own top.

When displayed in a group, the US Flag belongs at the top or to its own right. It may be displayed at the top of the staff, elevated at the right end of the line, or may also be displayed in a "fan" pattern with the Ensign in the centre and elevated slightly above all the rest.

Flying the flag inverted is a signal of distress. Striking the colours at sea and inverting them is a signal to any observer, and can also be used to indicate a field post in distress if it is expected to be observed by someone in a position to offer reinforcement. An inverted flag is equivalent to broadcasting "Mayday" on the radio.

Remember that Honours bestowed by position are relative to the object/person honoured - it may look backwards to you, but it is simply a matter of perspective....

I explained this to my wife recently, and she noted - correctly - that I always have her to my right, but the reason for that is twofold. I also like to keep my left hand open, being left-handed....

5-90

On a similar note to Eagle's last one: Flag emblems on cars (planes, and other vehicles) should have the blue field toward the front of the vehicle. This gives the appearance of the wind carrying the flag as it would on a flag pole with the stripes trailing.

Great info on the vehicular display, I've never ran across a right side decal so I've never put on on the pass side of anyting I drive, it just wouldn't look right. The local Boy Scout Troop here collects flags for proper disposal from time to time, they even have one a year at the Elementary School to educate the kids about proper flag etiquette.
Eagle, I agree with the others about your fathers flag, I can't think of a better memento to preserve the memory of a loved one, sounds really neat. TC

Back