• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unibody platting??

rdxcool

NAXJA Forum User
I own an 84 XJ and I am ready to get started on the modification. I am planning on swapping a 305 out of 92 Camaro, also a 4.5" Ultra-flex lift with 32" tires. I saw a thread on here talking about platting the unibody frame. I am trying to find out when and if I should think about this mod. I am somewhat concerned with the extra HP that the frame may not be able to handle it. Only plan on intermediate offroading, no extreme rock crawling or anything like that.

If you have the time, money, and ability to plate the "frame rails" I would say go for it. Bracing up front between the motor mounts would be a good idea also. I plan on doing it to mine when I get a chance. Theres some good posts with pics on this forum. Just gotta search:D

Good Luck,

AARON

I work on helicopters which are big unibody's. When plating make sure you look at where you are moving the stresses to. We used to do 150% repairs. Make the part 50% stonger than what it was origonally. What it caused is the stresses to move and create repeating cracks other places. Over all it is a good idea just research and figure out where you really need it.
Hints: stich weld on arcs, no straight welds completely across the "frame rails"
Just my 2 cents.

Search for ashmanxj (sp?) he did a kickass job on his.

If I find his pics, ill post em up, and maybe he'll chime in.

Back