• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power or Comfort, For Trans?

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
What is this switch for?
Should I be using it?
My XJ is my DD, mostly regular streets, very little HWY driving.

f9da76fd.jpg

As the switch explains (and others who've posted) it just changes the shift points. For highway driving leave it in comfort mode. For backwoods, hilly driving put it in power. I'm sure there's a savings in fuel for using it in the correct setting for your driving needs (ie. comfort on the highway). Comfort will make it switch to a higher gear at a lower rpm and you will notice a more pronounced shift whereas power will shift to a higher gear at a higher rpm, a more pronounced shift.

I have this same switch. I can't tell if it works or not. The light indicator never come on. Is this a fuse problem or something major. If it doesn't could this cause major problems if it doesn't work?

Shanbo44 said:
I have it on my 88 and I notce a a pretty big difference in gas mileage, about 55-60 miles more per tank on comfort, so now I only use power when on the trail, towing or on the freeway at high speeds.
Funny you should mention that man. I have the exact opposite results with mine. I get about 2 mpg more in Power...crazy!

GSequoia said:
Funny you should mention that man. I have the exact opposite results with mine. I get about 2 mpg more in Power...crazy!

Could our gearing or tire size have anything to do with this? Now I am curious... My buddy with an 89 wagoneer gets better gas mileage in comfort too.

shannon

bigglew said:
I have this same switch. I can't tell if it works or not. The light indicator never come on. Is this a fuse problem or something major. If it doesn't could this cause major problems if it doesn't work?

Could be the switch itself ... test to see if the trans is changing shift points ... drive at constant speed (45) in the comfort mode and gently step on the throttle---it shouldn't downshift until you get close to the floorboard.

Do the same in the power mode ... you should notice the downshift soon after depressing the throttle.

The power mode affects upshifts and downshifts, changing shift points to higher rpms---and is very noticable.

Back